PDA

View Full Version : A little luck never hurts

01-23-2002, 04:25 PM
Not really education, just a story, really. Of course, you can comment on my play in any of the hands described.

Tuesday night NL HE tourney at Foxwoods that I've discussed so often. It's the middle rounds, and the blinds are 50-100 with a 10 ante. I'm chip leader at my table, with 5 tables remaining. Final 9 get paid tonight. Player second UTG raises to 235, and I reraise to 665 with 8c8d. He calls, and could have almost anything. Flop is 2c3c5c. He checks, and has about 1100 in his stack now. I bet him all-in, and he gladly calls me with QcTc. Turn 5, river 8, I win.

A few hands later, and we have a new guy in that seat. He starts amassing chips, and seems to be playing well and catching good hands. Blinds are up to 100-200 w/ 20 ante. He raises to 700, and I reraise to 1600 with AA. He calls. Flop is A83 rainbow. He bets all-in, about 3000 more, and since no demons took temporary possession of my body, I called. His JJ is a 990:1 dog, and he doesn't suck out.

Down to 2 tables, 13 players. I have 8,000 and am chip leader at my table, probably for the whole field at this point. Blinds are 200-400 with a 25 ante, and I'm the BB. Guy with 7,000 in chips has button, and raises first-in to 2,000. I find I'm holding 55, and figure he can't call a reraise no matter what I'm holding unless he has AA-QQ, since he's still second in chips if he folds. I reraise all-in. He thinks for awhile and calls. As I table my cards, I say "I guess I don't have the best hand." He says, yes you do, and shows 64o!!! There are screams of collusion, and that he must be dumping chips to me on purpose. He does catch a 4, but nothing else, and I'm a massive chip leader now, holding about 1/4 of the chips. People were discussing his call all night long, and how bad it was. When asked about it at the time, he said "I put him on a resteal." OK. I see.

Blinds are up to 300-600 with a 50 ante. I'm in the big blind with A9o. 6 players at the table, and all but one of them limp in. The guy who limped in UTG is all-in, and only had about 125, so the side pot is pretty substantial. I raise 2500 more, figuring to win the sidepot and freeroll for the main pot. Little hitch in this plan, as the guy who's closest to me in chips, and was the second limper, calls my raise, leaving him with about 4000 more. Now there's a real big sidepot. I don't like my hand at this point, not unless the flop gives me at least two pair, so I check when it comes AJ8 rainbow. If he bets, I want a chance to read him before I commit chips, and if I bet into him, I won't get that chance. He checks behind me, and the same thing occurs when the turn card hits, a 6. River is a T, and I check again. He bets all-in for that 4,000. I stand to win over 11,000 if I call correctly, and to have a stack of 25,000. If I call and lose, I'm down to 10,000, or about 15% of the chips. This isn't factoring into my decision that much, however. I just want to make the correct choice. I finally decide that there's just too much chance that I've induced a bluff with those 3 checks, and I call. He has QTo for a double gutshot straight draw on the flop that only matured into a pair of tens. I'm moribund with chips now.

By the time we start the final table, I've moved up even more to 37,000 in chips, or better than 60% of all the chips in play.

There is talk of a deal, but I don't like what they're offering me, so I decline. Somebody suggests a deal where they add up the money for 9th-4th place, and each of those finishers will all get the same amount, and 1-3 will pay as scheduled. I decline. I want a chance to be the bully, and if nobody is worried about the difference between finishing 9th and 8th, 6th and 5th, etc., my ability to bully them and steal pots will go way down. One of my strengths is knowing who is unwilling to put it all in the middle with a decent but not nut hand, and stealing the pots from them.

We've knocked out 3-4 players, and a guy a couple of spots behind me is second chip leader, though still way behind me. I'm in the BB with 66, and he raises to 5x the BB. I sense a steal attempt, so I reraise him all-in for about 2.5 times his bet. He quickly calls, and I know I'm behind. His KK is a solid favorite, until I flop a 6. Another bad beat doled out tonight. At this point I have something like 50,000 out of about 65,000 in chips.

No more bad beats for me, except as the recipient. When we get to heads-up play, my opponents is outchipped about 5:1. After a couple of no-flop hands, I get him all-in preflop with 99 vs. his Q9. He flops a Q. Darn.

I whittle him down a bit, and then we see a flop with no raise. I flop top pair of kings with a 5 kicker. Flop is KQ8. It all goes in, and he has KJ. Misread on my part, I put him on a Qx.

I whittle him down again, and he finally says he's tired and offers me a deal. The difference between 1st and 2nd is about $600, and his offer is about $50 better than the chip count. I feel I have the advantage over him, because he's letting me steal more than him preflop. However, I figure my edge is about equal to the $50, so I accept. Why embrace variance for no edge, I think.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

01-23-2002, 05:05 PM
Well Greg, good post, I enjoyed it.

"A little luck never hurts " Of course, here's my lucky hand last night:

Final 2 of an Omaha 8 tournament. I have about 2/3 of the 19K in play, but the limits are 1-2K so it's pretty near the end, with short term luck playing a good part of the ending. No deal. I pick up 2378 on the button and limp. My opponent raises and I call. The flop is 997 rainbow. He checks, I bet, he calls. The turn is an 8. I put him all-in and he calls. Major oops for me, he shows A29Q...I'm in big trouble for high and screwed for low unless an ace comes...I'm thinking I'll have the 1/3 of the chips on the next hand...untill a 7 rivers, which gives me a boat and the scoop, 4 outs for the victory, hey, I'll take it!

Nicolas Fradet (The Prince)

01-23-2002, 05:33 PM
I'm playing a 7stud tournament with about 30 players left. I am in major trouble with about T400 and limits of 100-200.

A deuce brings it in, 4 fold to me and I look down at Qs(Ts8h), ok here it is, I raise. The guy on my left with a 7 doorcard calls (darn!), rest fold including the bring-in.

On 4th street I catch a 3, he catches a blank. I bet he calls.

On 5th, I catch another 3 and catches a 7.

"%?/&$"$%* "

I say to my self as I throw my last chip in the pot, he calls with 777 (of course), "start the car!". I am a 29:1 underdog as he will win 97% of the time.

I catch another 3 on 6th street and a T on the river. Skill...Baby...skill!

I went on to win the tourney!

Hey, we can be lucky sometimes, can't we?

Nicolas Fradet (The Prince)

01-23-2002, 06:23 PM
Whining alert!

Man, can I borrow some of this tourney luck? I played a small tourney last friday. During a 6 card time period I raised (Limit only) and lost with AK/KQ/KK/AA. The KK was losing to trips on the river. The AA was having a 3 show up and ended up tieing someone else with a 1 card straight.

Ken "Whining" Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

01-23-2002, 09:28 PM
Greg,

You said,"I whittle him down again, and he finally says he's tired and offers me a deal. The difference between 1st and 2nd is about $600, and his offer is about $50 better than the chip count. I feel I have the advantage over him, because he's letting me steal more than him preflop. However, I figure my edge is about equal to the $50, so I accept. Why embrace variance for no edge, I think."

I think the decision to play on depends on the relationship of the blinds + antes to both you and your opponents stacks. So, I don't know if you were correct to make a deal.

Oh! Doyle was lucky this year at the final table at the $2000 NL Hold'em Event. He went all-in with a pair of kings and was called by aces. A king came on the river.

Good Luck

Mark

01-24-2002, 07:25 AM
Isn't that normal?

Guy.

01-24-2002, 10:57 AM
Hey, have I told you that my last three Limit HE tournaments I went all-in on the flop as a strong favorite and busted?

I mean, we get sucked out on all the time, it's nice to reverse the roles once in a while. If I sucked out all the time, I'd think I was playing very weak poker, but since it's usually the other way around, I must be doing something good.