PDA

View Full Version : Was this a poor play?

FeVeR
11-26-2004, 03:18 PM
I'm relatively new to the game. The guy on SB was pretty aggressive and was using his stack to bully quite a bit. I thought coming over the top I had a great shot to make him fold and even if he didn't that there were a large percentage of hands that I would be a favorite or at least a coin flip. Also I definitely needed to double up at least one more time to get final table.

PokerStars Game #895848712: Tournament #3535064, Hold'em No Limit - Level XIV (2000/4000) - 2004/11/26 - 13:53:17 (ET)
Table '3535064 20' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 2: PrimeTime9 (32112 in chips)
Seat 4: stealurmoney (53003 in chips)
Seat 5: JD Rook (104030 in chips)
Seat 7: I'm chewed (168265 in chips)
Seat 9: FeVeR (35600 in chips)
PrimeTime9: posts the ante 200
stealurmoney: posts the ante 200
JD Rook: posts the ante 200
I'm chewed: posts the ante 200
FeVeR: posts the ante 200
I'm chewed: posts small blind 2000
FeVeR: posts big blind 4000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to FeVeR [Jc Ks]
PrimeTime9: folds
stealurmoney: folds
JD Rook: folds
I'm chewed: raises 4000 to 8000
FeVeR: raises 27400 to 35400 and is all-in
I'm chewed: calls 27400
*** FLOP *** [Kh Js Th]
*** TURN *** [Kh Js Th] [Ad]
*** RIVER *** [Kh Js Th Ad] [3s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
I'm chewed: shows [As Jh] (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
FeVeR: shows [Jc Ks] (two pair, Kings and Jacks)
I'm chewed collected 71800 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 71800 | Rake 0
Board [Kh Js Th Ad 3s]
Seat 2: PrimeTime9 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: stealurmoney folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: JD Rook (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: I'm chewed (small blind) showed [As Jh] and won (71800) with two pair, Aces and Jacks
Seat 9: FeVeR (big blind) showed [Jc Ks] and lost with two pair, Kings and Jacks

Lloyd
11-26-2004, 05:15 PM
This is an easy fold pre-flop. KJ is not a hand you want to be playing with if anybody has entered the pot before you, especially for a raise. The reason: exactly what happened to you. It's a hand that is very easily dominated. I would say that you are behind any hand that calls you. You're only hope is that you get everyone else to fold, which is probably not going to happen if the 1st raiser has any decent hand.

Roman
11-26-2004, 05:25 PM
well this is SB vs BB so I think its different.

Roman
11-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Because this is 5 handed and sb vs BB, I will probably do the same.

SossMan
11-26-2004, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is an easy fold pre-flop. KJ is not a hand you want to be playing with if anybody has entered the pot before you, especially for a raise. The reason: exactly what happened to you. It's a hand that is very easily dominated. I would say that you are behind any hand that calls you. You're only hope is that you get everyone else to fold, which is probably not going to happen if the 1st raiser has any decent hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you realize that this is 5 handed and it has been folded to the SB and the hero is in the BB?
I think this is a good push as your folding equity should be good vs. his range of hands.

SossMan
11-26-2004, 05:29 PM
damn you Roman beat me to it by 1 min!!

FeVeR
11-26-2004, 05:32 PM
So consensus is that I made a good play? I was in 11th out of 11 remaining and #10 and #9 we're sitting at my table in the positions right behind me. At some point I had to make a stand or they could just sit there and watch me blind away. Made 7 times my entry fee so it wasn't all bad, but would have loved to have gotten the final table.

Lloyd
11-26-2004, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you realize that this is 5 handed and it has been folded to the SB and the hero is in the BB?
I think this is a good push as your folding equity should be good vs. his range of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I didn't realize it. I read through the hand about 3 times but I've been spoiled too much by Bison.

tiger7210
11-26-2004, 09:18 PM
I don't neccessarily like your push here because I don't really believe you have enough folding quity here after he already had 8000 chips in the pot and now needs 27000 more to call. If he was a medium stack he may be less inclinded to gamble and fold to you reraise but as a big stack he is going to be more willing to gamble with 15% of his stack where he would call you with any Ace.

If has been consistently raising you out of the SB then I think you made the correct decision. If had just completed I think its a good push but he could very easily have mini- raised you with even Ax which puts you behind.

I would prefer to open raise all in with KJ then to reraise with it even though it is SB v BB.

I still believe you have enough chips left to get a better spot.