PDA

View Full Version : Bluff Magazine

Zeno
11-26-2004, 02:29 PM
I entered a poker room for the first time in months and saw a new poker magazine- Bluff. Premiere Issue. Slick and glittery and, I surmise, appealing to the younger poker crowd, I still picked it up and have perused some of the articles. The magazine is very uneven in my opinion, from first-rate puerile trash (Antonio Esfandiari) to the informative but uninspiring writing of Howard Lederer. Some articles are obviously worthwhile but overall it has the feel of a teenager on his/her first date - A bit too gushy and juvenile. But then, I am a pedantic misanthrope so my view is skewed.

The publishers/editors/contributors are obviously cashing in on the poker craze and want to present the best face possible on poker and get everyone’s blood pumping to hop into bed with the latest and coolest thing happening. I personally find nothing wrong, surprising, or new in this snake oil salesmanship by a conniving pack of driveling mountebanks. It is a very old story and slinks back to, at least, the rustic era of human adventures when Abraham set out from Ur to try his luck at finding the Promised Land and bumped into God.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the Premiere Issue of Bluff a limp 6, and only because I’m in a particularly good mood. Will Bluff last more than 10 years? What’s the over/under on that?

Le Misanthrope

beerbandit
11-26-2004, 02:37 PM
there has been some discussion on this magazine already. i forgot how to link a thread or i would have put it in here. search for magazine in the subject only and itll come right up.

cheers
beer

Zeno
11-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Thanks, I figured I was behind the times.

-Zeno

PokerMaster
11-26-2004, 04:17 PM
they should have a poker software, most magazines have joints ventures with poker rooms

PokerPaul
11-26-2004, 04:22 PM
i was given a free sample copy at foxwoods.....

i would tend to agree with initial poster here.

I thought the esfandari article and the one about how erik lundgren are living the hilife was a bit cheesy, and not to mention falsely glamourizing the poker lifestyle.