PDA

View Full Version : WPO NL Satellite Hand

01-19-2002, 03:49 AM
This hand was from a $65 buy-in satellite. You start with $200 in chips.

At this point I have $185 in chips. I'm in early position with AQ of spades. The blinds are $5 and $10. I put in a raise of $30. A middle position player, who I had played with in the Omaha 8B tournament in the afternoon, moves-in with $130.

This player was sitting on my right during the Omaha tournament and was playing pretty loose. So, I didn't think much of his play, I would say he was your average player. Furthermore, since he played loose during the Omaha tournament, I thought that his playing style would carry over to NL the same way. I ruled out AA or QQ, since I had AQ it reduced the posibility of him having either of those hands, but he could have KK. But, since I knew he was a loose player it would more likely be AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, or JJ.

Then to my surprise, a late position player CALLS this guys bet with half his chips. This player had just won a pot and had approximately $260. Fortunately for me, I had watched him play a satellite and get busted earlier. He was probably the loosest and one of the wildest players I've watched.

Now, it's my turn to act. I decided that the first player that pushed in his chips could have either AK or a pair. If he has AK I'm pretty much a dog, but I knew for sure that the other player was playing a weak hand and I'd probably have him beat. If I move-in my stack will be $500, and if I just beat the caller I'll have $55. Furthermore, since you only get $200 to start you're not going to have much of a chance to play real poker. So, I decided to move-in.

Would you do the same as me?

Mark

01-19-2002, 01:04 PM
Mark,

It seems like you have a good read on the players but even the loosest of players will have something when calling an all-in raiser after there is a raiser(you) and a re-raise. I think I might wait for a better spot to risk all my chips. If you had two eights or better this might be a better spot to go after the pot. Hope it turned out well.

Russ

01-19-2002, 02:50 PM
As long as you're sure of your reads, and that therefore your AQ is ahead of their average holdings, then your play is fine.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

01-20-2002, 08:34 PM
There were several reasons why I posted this hand. The first had to do with the amount of chips you were given to play the satellite. With only $200 in chips to play you will not have many opportunities. Plus, once you raise preflop, I believe you are almost committed to this pot.

Regardless of my reads of the two opponents, I believe I would do the same, just because the money is short. Does anyone think that this is a good enough reason?

My argument for this is to look and see what happens if I would fold preflop. If I folded, I would only have $155. The next round of blinds would take $20 away from that, leaving me with $135. But by this time the chips are unevenly distributed and someone is going to have a large stack. So, even if you go against the large stack, you will have no betting power to make them lay down their hand. So, I think it is important to double up as soon as you can when playing one of these satellites.

Anyway, my opponents hands were much worse than I gave them credit for. The first guy had Ah5h and the other that called had QT. So, I won the hand and ended up having a $500 stack.

Good Luck

Mark

01-21-2002, 06:57 AM
Good read, good play, just one point though, in my experience a lot of players play "loose" in Omaha because they're just no good at it and this doesn't necessarily carry over into their Hold-Em play. Nonetheless if that's all the info you have, you're probably right to go with it.

Andy.

01-23-2002, 06:30 PM
terrific read!!

although i have a hard time putting it into play personally, i like your play based on what you start with. getting out from under a weak stack genberally requires taking risks that you wouldn't normally anyway... so i like your move.

hope you took it all down!!

-marlow