PDA

View Full Version : Is PokerRoom the most underated site

RollaJ
11-26-2004, 12:20 PM
I recently deposited money into pokerroom.com to take advantage of their reload bonus.

Is it just me, or is this the most underrated site out there.

There are so many great features they have that others dont, lots of free and money added MTT's.....just a great site.

(Last time I deposited there I busted out so fast I didnt see half of what they had going on....... this time things are muchhhhhh better)

Oblomov
11-26-2004, 12:21 PM
no

Xelent
11-26-2004, 12:22 PM
What's the skill level like there these days on the NL tables? Or do they even have NL cash games yet?

RollaJ
11-26-2004, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no

[/ QUOTE ]

What is?

TheTimeIsUp
11-26-2004, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no

[/ QUOTE ]
I can tell this guy won't last long..

I think pokerroom has always NL ring games, right?

RollaJ
11-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Yes their NL games are good, havent tried limt...... dont plan to

mosta
11-26-2004, 02:01 PM
I don't like the interface. Everything is small and the same color. I get a headache trying to find all the hands and bets on the table, and notice when it's my turn. and when I played in a tournament it ran in a different kind of Java window, and that annihilated my system resources. in that window it was almost impossible to get my actions accepted, and often in a hand I couldn't see the bets and blinds when it was my turn and I'd get phantom cards on the board. (and this is on a thinkpad A31p, 512 meg.) and it takes a lot longer to clear a bonus there.

edit: it's been pointed out to me (by MicroBob) that Pokerroom really is pretty comparable on bonus clearing rates, so I retract that criticism.

Xelent
11-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Wyers
11-26-2004, 06:54 PM
I may be in the minority but I enjoy Poker Room. Probably a little biased as it was the first site I stumbled across when I started playing online - a little emotional connection (ahhh... now I'm getting all misty eyed).

I still go back on occasion to take advantage of the reload bonuses like the current 15%. And I prefer the interface over the cartoonish party skin.

Wyers

Chah Ngo
11-26-2004, 07:05 PM
Also, their stats are the best I have seen.

westmt01
11-26-2004, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't say it's the most underrated site, but it is underrated. The games are very soft, and the software isn't bad. The tourneys (both SNG and MTT) are also very profitable.

I'd have to give my vote to True Poker for being the most underrated, though my favorite place to play is Paradise.

drdre2001mm
11-26-2004, 07:18 PM
I agree with you Death. While I don't prefer pokerroom I do think it has many great features. They always seem to be giving money away during MTT's.

IggyWH
11-26-2004, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
edit: it's been pointed out to me (by MicroBob) that Pokerroom really is pretty comparable on bonus clearing rates, so I retract that criticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you play micro limits then it's a tough bonus. You get 1 player point per hand where the pot totals $20. You get .5 player points for $10-$19.99 pot. You then need 7 player points per $1 bonus. When I first started playing poker, I played on PR .25/.50 NL games. It took me 3000+ hands to clear a $113 bonus. It would have been a lot more hands if I didn't jump to .5/1 NL games and play really tight for the last 250 player points I needed.

If I do a comparison of my Party stats to PR, playing 1/2 limit, I had 1290 hands out of 7598 hands played bring at least a pot of $20. I had 3120 hands which had a pot between $10-$19.99. So if these hands were played on PR, that would give you a total of 2850 player points for 7498 hands played. That's an average of 2.561 hands per player point. If you need to get 700 player points to get the $100 bonus (I know it's $150 but just using $100 to compare it to Party), going by my Party stats, it would take you about 1792 hands.

Now let's say Party has a bonus and it's 20% with 10 times hands (which you never see that high anymore from Party), using my Party stats, I would play 1000 raked hands in 1290 hands.

Personally, I don't think PR is comparable to other bonuses unless you play at least 2/4 limit or 1/2 NL.

NOTE : By comparable to other bonuses, I personally see Party as setting the standard on bonuses. I didn't see Micro's post, so I don't know if he considers something else the standard.

MicroBob
11-26-2004, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I don't think PR is comparable to other bonuses unless you play at least 2/4 limit or 1/2 NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect this is correct. And that was actually the discussion from yesterday (p-room bonus-clearing at 3/6).

The p-room bonuses at the micro-levels should be very tough.
when I first got there I tried the NL-25 games and realized that my bonus wasn't going ANYWHERE!! LOL. I didn't play in those games for very long.

However you're not exactly going to be raking in the bonus-bucks at stars or ub on the micro-levels either.
Party has far and away the best bonus-structures most of the time.

Poker-room's bonus isn't that great....even at 2/4 or 3/6. But I do think you're probably correct that at 1/2 or lower it would be like most sites in that it would be pretty close to a zillion hands to clear.

IggyWH
11-26-2004, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker-room's bonus isn't that great....even at 2/4 or 3/6. But I do think you're probably correct that at 1/2 or lower it would be like most sites in that it would be pretty close to a zillion hands to clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for giggles, I decided to take a look at my 25NL stats from PR. Out of 4675 25NL hands, 382 had a rake of $1. 774 hands had a rake of $0.5 - $0.99. That gave me a total of 769 player points in 4675 hands played averaging 1 point per 6 hands.

Looking at my 50NL stats for PR, I played 1245 hands with 253 having a rake of at least $1. I had 210 hands with a rake of $0.50 - $0.99. That's a total of 358 player points for 1245 hands. An average of 1 point per 3.5 hands played.

I didn't play any limit on PR (except a few hands by accident) so I can't give my own personal stats on that.

Why I did this I don't know /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, my numbers in the above post comparing PR with Party are off. PR gives 1 player point for $1 rake collected. It works out to be a $20 pot, but only if that is called pot. So if someone bets $20 preflop and no one calls, the pot will be $20 but the rake will be 0. When I used my stats in PT, I counted by pot and not by rake. Playing 1/2 limit on PR would be even worse than what I mentioned in my above post.

RollaJ
11-26-2004, 09:23 PM
I cleared the $150 bonus in 11 1/2 hours of 2 tabling 2-5 NL (they call it 5-10 NL for somereason, but the blinds are 2-5)
up 2,200 + 150 bonus...... not a bad 11 1/2 hours /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Overdrive
11-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Pokeroom has a very nice 7 card stud game with .10 antes. Virtually every pot makes it to $10.00 where you get 1/2 point. Many pots make it to $20 where you get a full point, and fairly often a pot makes it to $30 where you get 1 and 1/2 points. Of course as always it depends when you play and who's playing too.

I don't know if I would say Pokeroom is the most underrated site, but they do have one of the best names, just simply "Pokerroom." None of this nonsensical Piggsbutt Poker, or Planetpluto poker or some of the more silly names out there.

MicroBob
11-26-2004, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
None of this nonsensical Piggsbutt Poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I kind of like this name.

UncleDuke
11-27-2004, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
None of this nonsensical Piggsbutt Poker

Actually, I kind of like this name.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it too, but I'll bet their mascot doesn't compare too favorably to Shana Hiatt.

vegasbob
11-27-2004, 07:41 AM
I have not played pokerroom for about 6 months now and was thinking of using the bonus to play again but i remember the rake is terrible there. they charge rake when a player bets and the other guy folds. No other site that i have played does that. I hope they stopped that because the 5 max tables are good

IggyWH
11-27-2004, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have not played pokerroom for about 6 months now and was thinking of using the bonus to play again but i remember the rake is terrible there. they charge rake when a player bets and the other guy folds. No other site that i have played does that. I hope they stopped that because the 5 max tables are good

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how long ago you played on PR, but it definitely isn't that way now. A bet has to be called before they take rake on it.

47outs
11-27-2004, 08:17 AM
No Pokerroom isn't underrated. It's just an ok room. No more no less.

outs

Oblomov
11-27-2004, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no

[/ QUOTE ]

What is?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Maybe I should elaborate.

What I dislike about Pokerroom, is that the avatars are so utterly retarded that you’re almost forced to select tables primarily on what avatar is available. Just turn them off, you say. But you’d still know that the other people see the avatar that belongs to your seat. I mean, how can you possibly maintain a solid table image, when the other players see you as some sleazy chick with her breast all but falling out of her dress. At least at Party and their skins, you are assigned an avatar that suits your gender. Also, it disturbed me that, when playing there, I found myself taking increasing pleasure in playing as the old lady wearing mirror glasses and clutching her handbag. I found this desire on my part very confusing.

As for what room is underrated. Hmm. I don't think there is a site that is particularly under- or overrated. Most people in the online poker community have a pretty good idea about the pro’s and con’s of the different sites.

Oblomov
11-27-2004, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no

[/ QUOTE ]
I can tell this guy won't last long..

[/ QUOTE ]

I should point out that I've been here longer than you.

DrPublo
11-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Same here, I started playing on PR two summers ago, before they even relased the full client. Back then it was ALL java apps, very weird. The games were exceptionally soft, and still are from what I hear. Not a bad room.

I DO like the built in stat program, but PT is of course better. Does PT accept PR hand histories? I'm not sure how that works.

The characters are cheesy though. In fact they used to be worse; there used to be a big purple alien and a robot! FWIW I always tried to sit as the big guy with the cigar and the white tux.

PR is also the online online site with support for macs and linux, right? That's a bonus to many out in the non-windows community. I always wondered why party doesnt release a mac or linux client, they could add a lot more customers I would think.

The Doc