PDA

View Full Version : A2s UTG

rafct
11-26-2004, 11:17 AM
I have A2s under the gun. According to SSh loose game standards, I call. Then 3 players limp, one bets, and the
rest folds. SSH states that against a raise I should play
only AK- A10s in early position.. SHould I fold here or call
this bet?

TheHip41
11-26-2004, 11:29 AM
You don't Cold Call raises with A2s UTG. One bet back to you is an easy call.

You are going to get about 9-1, or 10-1 on your call, because you know the rest of the table will call as well.

You will flop a flush draw like 1-8 times. Call and just flop the nuts /images/graemlins/smile.gif

droolie
11-26-2004, 11:30 AM
The chart means if the raise came BEFORE you act not after you have already limped in. Therefore you would fold this hand if it was two bets to you.

When you limp and are then raised by a player who acts after you, you must call the raise and see flop. Never fold pre-flop in that situation unless it's been re-raised or capped before coming back to you and your hand was a marginal limp like this one was. Part of the reason why you have to play tighter in early position is that there are many hands not worth risking this scenario. The earlier you limp the more likely you'll be raised and have to pay double to see the flop. That being said always pay the extra bet, the pot will be huge and well worth paying one more bet to try and win it.

RayGarlington
11-26-2004, 12:27 PM
It is hard for me to believe ssh recommends playing A2s UTG. Are you sure about this? I could see playing it late if you have a bunch of limpers ahead of you and some passive players behind. Ideally, you'd like to play this hand for one bet and have about 7 others in the pot too. You can't really guess that this will be the case UTG.

Yads
11-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Only limp UTG if you know there's going to be a bunch of callers and no raising. I'd still muck this UTG though.

droolie
11-26-2004, 12:43 PM
SSH's loose chart (6-8 players regularly seeing the flop)does in fact recommend limping in EP with A2s.

Jeff P
11-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Even at Party, I have found that there is rarely ever a table where consistently 6-8 people are seeing the flop. I think a more realistic average is 3-5. A table with an average of 40% players seeing the flop is not hard to find, but I have almost never seen a table with 70% seeing the flop (at least not at a full table, shorthanded is different).

Therefore, I pretty much stick with the tight game recommendations from SSH, and loosen up or tighten up as the table conditions change. If the table gets below 30% seeing the flop, I get up and find a different table.

JDErickson
11-26-2004, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even at Party, I have found that there is rarely ever a table where consistently 6-8 people are seeing the flop. I think a more realistic average is 3-5. A table with an average of 40% players seeing the flop is not hard to find, but I have almost never seen a table with 70% seeing the flop (at least not at a full table, shorthanded is different).

Therefore, I pretty much stick with the tight game recommendations from SSH, and loosen up or tighten up as the table conditions change. If the table gets below 30% seeing the flop, I get up and find a different table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you are leaving a lot of money on the table.

A2s is fine on a loose passive table UTG. Usually there are plenty of callers to make this a +ev play.

HajiShirazu
11-26-2004, 09:09 PM
I think the guy is right actually. If you actually were playing on a table that was always 6-8 to the flop (and there are some tables like this) then yes you would be giving up a lot folding this UTG. But this hand is too weak to play out of position against players who are at least somewhat reasonable with their preflop standards.
Small pairs are a little different, though. I think you can play those even if it's just 4-5 on average.