PDA

View Full Version : Rewards or raising ATo/AJo in the BB

Mr. Graff
11-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Three limpers, you have ATo/AJo in the BB. I raise here because I likely have the best of it at ths point but I'm becoming less convinced it is superior to just calling.

Two reasons:
1) You are out of position and it seems to me you are pretty much committed to a flop bet no matter what the flop is. A check would likely inspire people to take a stab at the pot without really giving much information away as to the strength of their hand and thereby making your decision to fold/play harder.
2) People expect a bad hand from the BB in general making it more likely they will pay you off when you hit if you do not raise preflop.

Of course a benefit of raising is that a raise with a big pair in the same position will be better disguised - but online people come and go so I'm not sure how valuable that is.

Mr. Graff
11-26-2004, 09:55 AM
n/t

Guy McSucker
11-26-2004, 11:49 AM
AJo is a raise I think. ATs too, but ATo not sure.

The plan is to make the pot bigger when you have the best of it, and that's all.

Don't know about you, but for me, opponents folding when I have a big hand is not really a problem.

Guy.

Grisgra
11-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Nobody expects an ace with a good kicker in the BB, so I'll generally just check this, but there are a lot of people telling me I'm wrong. I *have* started raising with AJs - AKs from this spot, but that's it. It does seem to commit you to betting out with it a bit.

Maybe if I get over that, it'll be worthwhile, but I do think you gain something from deception here.

piocet
11-27-2004, 05:30 AM
I don't like raising with AJo or ATo in SB or BB regardless how many players have called.

3 or more callers, your hand is not that good any more. It may have slightly higher pot equity than others but you are out of position.

2 or less callers, by raising, you reduce your chance of bluffing when you miss for they love to put you on ace face, and you are less likely to get paid when you hit. Also, when there are less players in the pot, it's easier to make up the 1 or 2 small bets in later rounds, if you just call preflop.

Thought?

stripsqueez
11-27-2004, 06:10 AM
i routinely raise AJo when there are limpers to me in the BB - A10o most of the time too

i dont feel compelled to do any more betting if i miss the flop - most of the time i do, especially if i reckon i can buy the button

reality is that there is little point trying to disguise your hand against most opponents because they simply dont think in a sensible way about what you have

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Vaftrudner
11-27-2004, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont feel compelled to do any more betting if i miss the flop - most of the time i do, especially if i reckon i can buy the button

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I had the "feel" knowing one bet would make everyone except the small blind fold... /images/graemlins/wink.gif