PDA

View Full Version : A few hands from a $150 B&M MTT Wed night (long post)

burningyen
11-26-2004, 04:38 AM
As I posted in the B&M section, Wednesday night I managed to place 3rd in a $150 MTT at a local club. I'm mostly a $10+1 SnG/MTT and $50NL player on UB, and this was only the 3rd MTT I've played with a buy-in bigger than $40, so $870+ in profit was a big score for me. I'm pretty happy with the way I played, but results aside, there were a few hands I'm still not sure about:

Hand 1:

Blinds at 150/300 w/25 antes, 9-handed. I'm in the CO with ~3000, and the button is a solid tight player with ~4000.

I open-limp w/QTs, button limps, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop comes Q22 rainbow, BB checks, I check, button bets 500, BB folds, I push. I didn't think he would limp with KQ or better, and it didn't even occur to me that he might have a 2. I was most worried about QJ. Reasonable?

Results in white:
<font color="white">The button checks out the size of my stack and wonders aloud whether I have A2s. I send out "please call me" signals. After agonizing, he folds.</font>

Hand 2:

Blinds at 250/500 w/50 antes, 8-handed. I'm UTG with ~5000, CO+1 just sat down with ~8000.

I open-raise to 1500 w/AJo, all fold to the CO+1, he pushes and it's folded back to me. He's sending out such strong "I'm cool if you call me" signals that it's debatable how unconscious they are. Should I have opened with a push or limped pre-flop? The table started out playing very LAG, but had tightened up by then. In the end, I decide I can't call without having seen him play a single hand, so I fold.

Results in white:
<font color="white">After I fold, he shows AKs. Later on in another hand, I saw him send out "please don't call" signals when he went all in and showed JJ.</font>

Hand 3:

Blinds at 250/500 w/50 antes, 8-handed. I'm UTG w/~6000, and LMP, a very young guy, sat down at the table with a giant stack but had repeatedly gotten involved in some big hands that he had to fold and was now at ~5000.

I limp w/AQo, 2 callers, LMP pushes. I had to think about this one, but decided he was an action player looking to claw his way back up, so I called despite the fact that it was for most of my stack. Reasonable?

Results in white:
<font color="white">He flips over AJo and doesn't improve. The call felt right to me at the time, but a few people were shaking their heads at me, and not out of admiration. For better or for worse, that hand pretty much got me to the final table.</font>

Hand 4:

At the final table, blinds at 400/800 w/75 antes, 9-handed, I'm in the BB w/~5000 (a relatively small stack), CO is an aggressive player who built a huge stack by pretty much outplaying my first table, showing down solid hands. But as soon as we sat down at the final table, about a round ago, he tangled with the chip leader in one huge hand, folding to a big river bet, and is now down to ~4000.

It's folded to the CO, who pushes, and I look down to see ATo. With the pressure of the blinds and antes and my weak stack, and the fact that this guy was in even worse shape, I decide to call. Reasonable?

Results in white:
<font color="white">He flips over A3s and doesn't improve, saying "I got too impatient."</font>

Hand 5:

Blinds at 500/1000 w/100 antes, 8-handed, I'm in the BB w/~12,000, SB has ~20,000 and has played very few hands since I sat down. At this point it may be worth pointing out that only the top 4 spots pay out.

It's folded to the SB, who raises it to 3000. Something about the way he reacted to the button folding gives me a very weak read that he's making a move. This is the 1st time we've been heads-up in the blinds. I push w/A6s. Reasonable?

Results in white:
<font color="white">After asking for a count of my stack, he folds. A couple of rounds later, he tried open-raising on the button and I pushed in the SB w/QQ. He chuckled and shook his head but unfortunately didn't look me up.</font>

By the time it got down to 6-handed I pretty much shut down and waited for the 3 shorter stacks to bust out. The chip leader and the guy on my right had such huge stacks that I didn't feel safe making any bubble moves. So it ended up being a game of attrition with us shorter stacks. After outlasting the guy who finished 4th, I had less than 3BB. I guess I need to play more aggressively early on.

JaBlue
11-26-2004, 05:34 AM
Wow. Congrats on the finish, but....

Hand 1: NEVER LIMP. Limping in late position is like saying "here, take my money. I don't want it." I don't know what button is doing limping behind, but with any hand I'd limp there I'd steal it from you guys. Also why check the flop? Only one person behind you, and you really don't want to see an ace or king.

Hand 2: Fold preflop. You pretty much threw away close to 1/3 of your chips with a crappy hand. I almost never play AJ UTG in any situation at a full table. Also, you're out of position. Sucks to be you.

Hand 3: Stop limping! Why are you doing that with such a small stack??? If you really can't find it in your heart to dismiss AQ, then push. Limping is just really weak.

Hand 4: Your call is correct. He can be pushing with any ace or any good king etc. Against his range of hands, you're a favorite to the average hand.

Hand 5: Good job. If you have a read, go for it. A lot of players will try to push around the small stack in that situation. I would probably raise you there with close to any two.

PS You gots to stop limping!

burningyen
11-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the sensible advice. I realized after the tourney that I raised pre-flop from the CO/button only twice. Weak.

Hand 3 is borderline for me as to whether to limp or push. I'm probably getting all my chips in either way. My hope was to lure in a raise by AJ, KQ or a medium pair. I'll have to think about that one some more.