PDA

View Full Version : A couple of hands

01-17-2002, 10:11 AM
Hmmm. I am still struggling with tournaments.

Here are a couple of hands from last night. In all cases I have around 500 in chips and the blinds ar 50-50 posted by the button and the player to his left. A couple of guys at the table have 6000 in chips, everyone else 500-1500.

On the button, Q9. Six players see an unraised flop of QJT. It is checked around and the cutoff goes all-in for 400.

The cutoff has been ramming his chips in with anything: top pair no kicker, middle pair, bottom pair, no pair no draw, etc. He has made 15 rebuys in 50 minutes. I have yet to win a pot at all.

Should I put all the chips in here?

Another hand, again on the button: 74! Four players see a free flop of 874, all clubs.

First to act bets 200 into a 200 pot, and I have 350 in front of me. He is another player who has been in there with anything, and has bet top pair into a suited flop already. There are about 15 minutes until the rebuys end and blinds go to 100. I have still yet to win a pot.

All in, or pass?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Guy.

01-17-2002, 11:14 AM
Guy,

I muck both of these hands, and quick!

On the first hand, although the cut-off could be betting anything (like you said), he most likely has something, right? That something could be a better draw or a better hand. And most importantly, you have 4 other opponents to worry about, one of them could easily be trapping with 2 pair, a set or a flopped str8.

On the second hand, I throw it away too. You will be in deep trouble if he has a set or a better 2 pair. Also, if he's on a draw, he'll still get there 1/3 of the time, and he could have flopped the flush.

I don't like putting my chips in the center of the table in these situations, you are likely to be slightly ahead and opened to drawouts or in big trouble.

Wait for a better day.

Nicolas Fradet (The Prince)

01-17-2002, 07:54 PM
Guy,

Save your chips for a better situation. On the first hand with six players limping in you could be up against alot hands, and you would probably have to make a full house to win.

The second hand, with four other opponents it is likely that someone has the flush or a draw to it.

When I get these tricky flop situations, I consider a few important facts. First, how many opponents took the flop with me. If I am up against more than two my cards are ready for the muck. With only one or two opponents you can take a stab at the pot, and if you have a tight image they will fold quite often. You don't want to lose all your chips in a pot that someone could have floped the nuts on. You need to be careful in these situations. Hopefully, you'll flop the nuts and extract the maximum.

Good Luck

Mark

01-17-2002, 09:32 PM
If you are prepared to rebuy...

The first hand is marginal but I would probably go all in.

The second hand isnt close (for me). shove it in!! you are very likely to be winning and you dont mind a flush draw calling as you will win a big pot if they miss.

In low entry rebuy tournaments, you are virtually forced to gamble to accumulate chips.

And as Andy Ward will testify, I am not shy about rebuying. /images/smile.gif

Cheers,

Keith

01-18-2002, 09:57 AM
I don't know about that ...

Anyway I would probably play both of these hands too. Nic and Mark, you have to understand how wild the play is in these tournaments. It's mad. If you read Guy's post he tells us that in hand one the bettor has bought in 15 times. Believe me he could have K2 (flop QJT remember). And in hand 2 the bettor has already "bet top pair on a suited flop". For sure you might get run into a big hand. But when you're short stacked in these tournaments you have to take a chance or two, especially when you have outs even if you are losing. It'll be worth it when you treble up and can then trap someone for 1500.

Andy.

01-18-2002, 01:34 PM
Thanks to everyone for these useful remarks.

I would love to have felt comfortable folding. As Andy says, though, I have

01-18-2002, 01:51 PM
I agree in this type of rebuy tourney pushing it in makes sense. In a standard 1 rebuy tourney the decisions are more difficult.

15 rebuys in 50 minutes is a bit crazy. So every 2nd or 3rd hand the player goes all-in and loses!

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

01-19-2002, 02:39 AM
Keith,

It's very important, who is sitting between Guy and these players, from the post it's not clear. Furthermore, it's not clear how the others are playing. So, I can see how you and Andy could make your statements. I'd hate to push my chips in and get bushwacked. I'm not saying that I would not do what you suggest, just consider the others that are at the table with you.

Good Luck

Mark