PDA

View Full Version : Club tourney busted in Illinois

Jim Kuhn
11-25-2004, 08:06 PM
A private club. I think it was a Knights of Columbus, was busted for having private tournies. I do not know all of the details, but they were having a weekly tourney and taking like $500 out each week to send the overall points leader to the World Series of Poker.

A friend owns a bar and has also been having tournies. He received a letter from the Illinois Liquor Commissioner. The letter stated these hold em tournies are illegal and must be stopped. They were setting up a special task force to arrest and prosecute offenders. Football, Nascar etc. pools are also illegal and would be prosecuted. I think the letter stated that permits were needed for these tournies and they could only be obtained four times per year. I will try to get a copy of this letter.

Another friend was holding these tournies at a local KC hall. They supposedly received approval from the gaming commission. They did not receive approval from the Liquor Commission so they may also be stopping there tournies. You would think Big Brother has more pressing needs for our government official and courts.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Abe
11-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Jim - and all Illinois players,

Most Illinois cities are having local tourneys. These are being held in bars, country clubs, private halls, charitable/nfp organizations and in peoples basements.

The "multi-week points leagues" are also being run for profit by some out of state people.

Illinois Law states the following:

1. You are GAMBLING when you play a game of chance or skill for money or any other thing of value.

2. You are not to be convicted of GAMBLING if you are an actual participant where a prize pool is to be awarded in a bonafide contest of skill.

The Illinois Liquor Control Commission's last quarterly newsletter warned all holders of a Liquor Licence that conviction of GAMBLING would cause the loss of their Liquor License. The article is on their website. (sorry- no link)

So ---- is a poker tournament a bona fide contest for the determination of skill?

kurosh
11-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Kind of OT, anyone know of any games/tournaments in Springfield, IL in the next few days?

TimmyJames
11-25-2004, 10:36 PM
I know in PA something simlar happened, but was unprosicutable because if there is no "house" profitting from the event then it is not illegal.