PDA

View Full Version : What is the All-Time Best Southern Rock Band?

Rooster71
11-25-2004, 07:50 PM
What is the All-Time Best Southern Rock Band?

Rob Blackburn
11-25-2004, 09:06 PM
SKYNYRD!!!!!!!!!

cnfuzzd
11-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Other, whichever band has the highest percentage of members who are dead/not playing anymore.

peace

john nickle

Zeno
11-25-2004, 10:44 PM
I always liked the Mashall Tucker Band. They were more of a cross roots /folk/country/rock band that also had some songs with a jazz influence. Very broad septrum of work and Songs.

For just 'Rock' Lynard Skin is best. For a more blues feel, Allman Bros.

IMO.

For the old Hippie crowd, CCR was the top band 'southern rock'. Don't know how real and 'southern' the band was though.

-Zeno

balkii
11-25-2004, 11:01 PM
I couldn't find the checkbox for : THEY ALL SUCK; SOUTHERN ROCK IS TERRIBLE

Leo99
11-25-2004, 11:06 PM
I thought CCR was from San Fran?

ThaSaltCracka
11-25-2004, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought CCR was from San Fran?

[/ QUOTE ]They are I believe, but they sounded "southern".

whiskeytown
11-25-2004, 11:59 PM
though they would nominate Skynard, I'd nominate the Drive By Truckers.

RB

Rooster71
11-26-2004, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For the old Hippie crowd, CCR was the top band 'southern rock'. Don't know how real and 'southern' the band was though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dammit, I knew I left a band out. I like CCR, I think they could reasonably be put in that category. Even though they are considered by most folks to be hippy-type music. Come to think of it, I've never heard of CCR being referred to as 'southern rock'.

Rooster71
11-26-2004, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
though they would nominate Skynard, I'd nominate the Drive By Truckers.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never heard of them.

Rooster71
11-26-2004, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't find the checkbox for : THEY ALL SUCK; SOUTHERN ROCK IS TERRIBLE

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard of people not liking southern rock, but this is the first time I've ever experienced one.

BottlesOf
11-26-2004, 12:56 AM
MTB should have gotten some more love, but it's Skynyrd and it's not even close.

whiskeytown
11-26-2004, 01:03 AM
a contemporary southern rock band -

Patterson Hood's Dad was part of the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section -

www.drivebytruckers.com (http://www.drivebytruckers.com)

RB

Zeno
11-26-2004, 02:25 AM
CCR played off of being 'southern' or a Bayou rock sound. Bayou Country was the name of one of their albums and also the 'Willy and the Poor Boys' albumn cover played off this theme also.

-Zeno

Dark Force Rising
11-26-2004, 02:54 AM
Although not known as such in their more mainstream years,Gainsville Floridas' Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers swamp rock origins and 30 years of hits deserve a nod.

Or Lucinda Williams?

Blarg
11-26-2004, 06:28 AM
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers is a Southern band.

I like the Allman Brothers a lot, but it's been so long since they've produced anything. I'd have to go with Petty for very long term production of really good music.

jakethebake
11-26-2004, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]There was one? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lazymeatball
11-26-2004, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you deny that Southern Rock bands exist? If the answer is no, then obviously there has to one that is best, whether they match your personal preferences or not. If the answer is yes, then you are denying reality. Your post makes no sense at all.

jakethebake
11-26-2004, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you deny that Southern Rock bands exist? If the answer is no, then obviously there has to one that is best, whether they match your personal preferences or not. If the answer is yes, then you are denying reality. Your post makes no sense at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a point. But this is roughly the equivalent of asking which is the best pit of hell. It's irrelevant.

Rooster71
11-26-2004, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Lazymeatball - if you take the time to read any of jakethebake's posts you will see that reality is not a concern of his.

Rooster71
11-26-2004, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a point. But this is roughly the equivalent of asking which is the best pit of hell. It's irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with your opinions about southern rock. But I do see the analogy. It's sort of like saying which jakethebake post is the most useless. They are all useless, so it's irrelevant.

MelchyBeau
11-26-2004, 09:40 PM
I think you should have listed Stevie Ray Vaughan's band Double Trouble. One of the greatest guitarist of at least the past 50 years. I have a DVD and it is quite difficult to actually see his fingers on the fretboard

Melch

Rooster71
11-26-2004, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MTB should have gotten some more love, but it's Skynyrd and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I like all of the bands listed, but Skynyrd is by far my favorite. It's amazing how much quality music the produced from 1974-1977.

pc in NM
11-26-2004, 10:55 PM
I'd pick the Allman Brothers from your list, but Little Feat must be condidered prime contenders, ans a close second for me....

Jim Kuhn
11-26-2004, 11:34 PM
Would Charlie Daniels be considered Southern Rock?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Chah Ngo
11-27-2004, 12:34 AM
Where is the blackfoot?

jakethebake
11-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Good one! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
11-27-2004, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should have listed Stevie Ray Vaughan's band Double Trouble. One of the greatest guitarist of at least the past 50 years. I have a DVD and it is quite difficult to actually see his fingers on the fretboard

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]
Except Stevie's music wasn't the same kinda stuff IMO. Apples & oranges. If ya added him to the category then I'd have to re-evaluate my previous statement.

jakethebake
11-27-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lazymeatball - if you take the time to read any of jakethebake's posts you will see that reality is not a concern of his.

[/ QUOTE ]Not true at all. Of course I don't deny the existence of Southern Rock. I do deny it's classification as music. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oski
11-27-2004, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would Charlie Daniels be considered Southern Rock?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

vulturesrow
11-27-2004, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the greatest? I'm willing to go all in and say SRV is the greatest guitar player, ever, and its not even close. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rooster71
11-28-2004, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the greatest? I'm willing to go all in and say SRV is the greatest guitar player, ever, and its not even close. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know who is the best. But I can't see how anyone could reasonably say that SVR is very much better than Jimi Hendrix.