PDA

View Full Version : Best Scene Stealers

maryfield48
11-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Apologies to Rick, but this is what I thought his thread was going to be about, and I thought, "Hey, great thread!"

So now I have to start it. Here's one:

John Gielgud in Arthur

WillMagic
11-25-2004, 07:54 PM
James Spader in....everything.

Will

dsm
11-26-2004, 12:08 AM
(#1) Marilyn Monroe in All About Eve (1950)

James Dean in Giant (1956)

Chiaki Kuriyama as Gogo Yubari in Kill Bill: Vol. 1

Uma Thurman's tits in Dangerous Liaisons (1988)

-dsm

youtalkfunny
11-26-2004, 03:39 AM
The black guy who makes the funny noises on "Police Academy".

Joe Pesci, in any film where he's not the lead.

Christopher Lloyd on "Taxi".

Laverne and Shirley, that night they were introduced to us on "Happy Days". Girls got themselves a show out of it.

sfer
11-26-2004, 03:54 AM
Recently, it's been every Billy Bob Thornton supporting role.

Prior to that, Bill Paxton in Aliens. Game over, man.

SuitedSixes
11-26-2004, 05:45 AM
Sigourney Weaver's chest in Galaxy Quest.

Exhibit A:
http://a52.g.akamaitech.net/f/52/827/1d/www.space.com/images/v_galaxyquest_02,0.jpg

Blarg
11-26-2004, 06:43 AM
Lori Singer -- you can't feel sorry for Tim Hutton the way you're supposed to in The Falcon and The Snowman, because, hey -- Lori Singer is his girlfriend! She has the same effect in other movies.

Phoebe Cates similarly destroys scenes because you can't help spending all your time looking at her.

Harry Dean Stanton.

James Dean in "Giant" as mentioned above was a good one. He was more a movie stealer than a scene stealer though. Joe Pesci is a good one too; he's always fantastically watchable; you almost can't tear your eyes away from him.

DeNiro too. Even against Sam Jackson in Jackie Brown, you can't help constantly watching DeNiro, even though it's not all that colorful a role.

Bronson Pinchot in Beverly Hills Cop II.

Gloria Grahame, Michel Simon, Charles Durning.

Oh, I guess the most notorious example these days is that guy Simon from American Idol. He stole the scene so much he became a focus of the show and an industry unto himself.

And there's that black guy who did the dancing in those underwear commercials -- they were super popular a year or so ago, and he was getting interviewed on talk shows, and they made a couple more commercials just based on his kangaroo dance. Supposedly he was just supposed to walk around like a bunch of other people in the underwear, but he decided, what the hell, and just decided to clown it up and have fun. Then he cracked everyone up so much that all the other people were forgotten about, and the company made the commercial totally about him and his dance, and he went from nothing to famous overnight. That guy really knew exactly how to steal a scene and make the most of his chance.

Oh, and another classical one -- Steve McQueen. On the soundtrack of The Magnificent Seven, the commentary talks about how he was constantly fiddling and drawing attention to himself in a competitive way in every possible scene. Yul Brynner got extremely annoyed at the pesky youngster, and told him, "You know, if you're going to keep that up, all I have to do is take off my hat, and no one will even see you." Steve wised up and toned it down a little. But he was apparently a maniacal scene stealer. It's funny to watch him in that film knowing that. It's an ensemble crowd and Steve is always doing the equivalent of picking his nose or something to get attention on himself.

ThaSaltCracka
11-26-2004, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sigourney Weaver's chest in Galaxy Quest.

Exhibit A:
http://a52.g.akamaitech.net/f/52/827/1d/www.space.com/images/v_galaxyquest_02,0.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
she looks like a weathered slut..... I like it!

Rick Nebiolo
11-26-2004, 08:11 AM
That must be some first rate wonder/super bra cause in other movies (e.g. Alien) she is flat as a pancake /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

razor
11-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Don Cheadle - Ocean's Eleven, Boogie Nights (there are probably more)

deacsoft
11-26-2004, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don Cheadle - Ocean's Eleven, Boogie Nights (there are probably more)

[/ QUOTE ]

Traffic.

andyfox
11-26-2004, 01:18 PM
"I'll alert the media."

andyfox
11-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Judy Dench in Shakespeare in Love.

jakethebake
11-26-2004, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
James Spader in....everything. Will

[/ QUOTE ] I must not understand the thread? James Spader stole a scene in something?

jakethebake
11-26-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and another classical one -- Steve McQueen. On the soundtrack of The Magnificent Seven, the commentary talks about how he was constantly fiddling and drawing attention to himself in a competitive way in every possible scene. Yul Brynner got extremely annoyed at the pesky youngster, and told him, "You know, if you're going to keep that up, all I have to do is take off my hat, and no one will even see you." Steve wised up and toned it down a little. But he was apparently a maniacal scene stealer. It's funny to watch him in that film knowing that. It's an ensemble crowd and Steve is always doing the equivalent of picking his nose or something to get attention on himself.

[/ QUOTE ] That's hilarious!

John Cole
11-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Peter Lorre in everything.

Dominic
11-26-2004, 02:20 PM
M. Emmett Walsh in Blood Simple and Blade Runner

astroglide
11-26-2004, 03:11 PM
johnny depp and tom hanks. any movie they're in causes their presence to exceed the story. "that JOHNNY DEPP MOVIE where he's a pirate and..." "that TOM HANKS MOVIE where he's a castaway and..."

Rick Nebiolo
11-26-2004, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apologies to Rick, but this is what I thought his thread was going to be about, and I thought, "Hey, great thread!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I should be the one apologizing with my stupid thread title /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, my stupid choice is Mickey Rourke in "Body Heat". John Cole probably will not approve. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

Rick

JustSomeJackass
11-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Benicio Del Toro in the Usual Suspects...

"Hand me the keys you c*cksucker"

"In English, please"

Phat Mack
11-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Michael Parks in the Kill Bills.

Philip Seymour Hoffman in anything, but especially the dice junkie in Hard Eight.

astroglide
11-26-2004, 04:56 PM
psh's scene is the only good thing about hard 8, but it's a REALLY good scene. i don't think parks stole anything in the kill bills though.

maryfield48
11-26-2004, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Benicio Del Toro in the Usual Suspects...

"Hand me the keys you c*cksucker"

"In English, please"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I thought of him too after I'd started the thread. Amazing how many different ways charisma can be expressed.

But Astro, c'mon, how can two huge box office stars be regarded as scene stealers? The scenes already belong to them from the moment the cameras are turned on.

astroglide
11-26-2004, 06:24 PM
it isn't always planned like that with johnny depp. i don't think tom hanks wants it that way either, it's basically gotten to the point where he can't be in movies anymore because of it.

Blarg
11-26-2004, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
M. Emmett Walsh in Blood Simple and Blade Runner

[/ QUOTE ]

Great choice! I actually thought of M. Emmett Walsh too, but was starting to put too many names up already. He definitely has a cool thing going that reminds me of James Gandolfini in True Romance sometimes -- a seeming tenderness inexplicably mixed with absolute venality or something, and straightforward honesty mixed in with all the crooked depravity in the world, I don't know. He's got something pretty cool going that's hard to put into words, and makes you watch him.