PDA

View Full Version : Should I have bet the river?

PuertoKid
11-25-2004, 07:37 PM
I hadn't had much time at this table. There were two posters and I was cutoff with 77. I wanted to attack this hand hard because of the dead money. I'm wondering if I should have bet the river.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $1. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Peter Harris
11-25-2004, 07:48 PM
i will. i reckons overs/flush draw before an 8.

Regards,
Pete Harris

fairness
11-25-2004, 08:04 PM
i see 2 clubs in his hand

pointcount
11-25-2004, 08:06 PM
that's why even though I understand the concept of the +EV flush draw raises on the flop, it often makes your hand so transparent, worse if you are out of position. I would definately bet this river.

fairness
11-25-2004, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
even though I understand the concept of the +EV flush draw raises on the flop, it often makes your hand so transparent

[/ QUOTE ]

to us, yes.
to fishies, no.

detruncate
11-26-2004, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i will. i reckons overs/flush draw before an 8.

Regards,
Pete Harris

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... which is why I don't bet. What will he fold that beats us? What will he call with that we beat? He probably calls if he paired the flop or turn, and folds a busted flush draw or overs. So we're really just hoping for pocket pair &lt; 7s, a pair of 2s, or (sometimes?) overs he likes enough to call with.

We have position. Let's take the free showdown. Don't you think?

PuertoKid
11-26-2004, 06:16 AM
that's pretty much what i was thinking, detruncate.

He turned over 8x

Douglas Leslie
11-26-2004, 06:34 AM
It is pointless to bet this river. There are too many hands that are ahead of you or which your opponent will fold if he has missed his draw.

droolie
11-26-2004, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure I like anything about this hand.

Why are you raising pre-flop? I understand trying to get the posters out but with 77 you want to see the flop cheaply to try to hit your set. If you miss you'll let this hand go. 77 will rarely win in a multiway pot unimproved and you will only make your set 1 in 7. With two limpers you were gauranteed this pot would be mulitway. Limp. Save the muscle for when you have a better chance of getting it heads up or for hands that are more likely to connect with the flop.

Why are you raising the flop? You raised preflop and were then bet into. Did you really think he had less then TP? I see this play a lot on these boards and it mystifies me how preflop raisers miss the message that getting bet into on the flop is telling them. Do we collectively disrespect our opponents so much that their actions are virtually meaningless? Raising isn't horrible if you need to know if your still in this hand but what did the 3 bet tell you?

Why bet the turn? Unless you were sure you were up against a chronic bluffer or a complete idiot he still has you beaten. He might fold but I seriously doubt it. In fact I'm surprised he didn't C/R here.

So no I would not bet this river.