PDA

View Full Version : Out of practice

NotMitch
11-25-2004, 07:24 PM
4 Players left in stars turbo, Im in the BB with a little more than 4000, UTG has 3000ish, button has me slightly covered and SB is the small stack with 1600ish after posting.

Blinds just went up to 200/400 Button raises to T1600, short stacked SB folds and its on me in the BB. I pushed. What is the worst hand I should have to do this?

stupidsucker
11-25-2004, 07:32 PM
With no read on the Button you need a fairly big hand. The small stack isnt exactly teeny tiny, so you cant count him out yet.

I push with AK, QQ-AA. I muck AQ, and JJ here I think. Perhaps I am being too weak. Sometimes its hard to picture it unless I am in game. The facts are that you have pleanty of chips compared to the blinds, and you shouldnt be in a hurry to lose them just yet. The button is the only player at the table that can bust you, be most afraid of him.

the buy in level is important to me to answer this perfectly.

NotMitch
11-25-2004, 07:38 PM
It was a $6.50, button hasnt done anything too out of the ordinary. Are there any hands you flat call with here? I dont think so, but maybe if we were a little deeper I start to think about it,

willie24
11-25-2004, 07:44 PM
depends on how aggressive the button has been. if he has been quite aggressive i would push with AT or 77 or better. if he has been passive i would push with JJ/AK

willie24
11-25-2004, 07:46 PM
you would never, ever flat call here.

stupidsucker
11-25-2004, 07:52 PM
The only hand I would even consider flat calling here is AA. I dont like the move, but most flops HU you will be safe with. I dont recomend doing this though NOT at a tourney this low for sure. Maybe a $215. Am I right to say its ok to do that the higher limit you go?

willie24
11-25-2004, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only hand I would even consider flat calling here is AA. I dont like the move, but most flops HU you will be safe with. I dont recomend doing this though NOT at a tourney this low for sure. Maybe a $215. Am I right to say its ok to do that the higher limit you go?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, i don't think you are right. with 3400 already in the pot after a hypothetical call there is absolutely no reason not to raise the remaining 2000 some chips you have preflop, no matter what the entry price is.

if he folds I would be happy. in fact i think a fold is close to being just as +EV for you as a call. (in terms of expected tourney winnings)