PDA

View Full Version : Scene Stealers

Rick Nebiolo
11-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Let’s pretend two people are watching a movie or TV drama together on tape or DVD and one has to get up for something that is not an emergency (e.g., get a snack).

young nut
11-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Very strange question....sounds like you've got some issues watching movies bro /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Topflight
11-25-2004, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't wait until the end of the scene.

But then I would go back to the beginning of the scene if some dickhole didn't wait until the end of a scene before he got up.

Zeno
11-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Rick,

Read a book will you.

-Zeno

dr. klopek
11-26-2004, 02:17 AM
Naw man, seriously, this bothers me too. Why on earth would you want to distract someone while they are paying attention to something that requires attention for enjoyment? Doesn't it kind of seem like you're degrading the quality of that thing? But it's not as bad as incessant talking during a movie.

Rick Nebiolo
11-26-2004, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Naw man, seriously, this bothers me too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote up the post and poll real quick and I have the distinct impression that you guys are placing me incorrectly.

[ QUOTE ]
Why on earth would you want to distract someone while they are paying attention to something that requires attention for enjoyment?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not the person who gets up half-way through a one or two minute scene. In both cases the ones who do are my best friend and a member of my family.

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't it kind of seem like you're degrading the quality of that thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does and that is my point with my best friend and member of my family who will remain anonymous. I rarely watch TV or movies (outside of theaters) but when I do it is usually with somebody and it is almost always something on tape or DVD. To me it is common sense and common courtesy to wait until the end of a scene to take a snack break. When we are watching the show/movie together, and getting up in the middle of a scene is an unnatural break.

My response is to rewind to the beginning of the scene. That drives the two of them crazy and prompted my quick post/poll as sort of a joke. The other people in my life take their breaks at the end of a scene. I can pause the tape and take my own break so we are always in sync and the feeling of togetherness is enriched.

That said, I prefer to see movies in theaters just because of the fact there are no interruptions.

Anyway, I admit to being anal retentive but not a nit /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

Rick Nebiolo
11-26-2004, 07:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Read a book will you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my Christmas wish list was 80% books but I really just use them for decorations /images/graemlins/smile.gif

~ Rick

Cyrus
11-26-2004, 07:50 AM
Rick,

I understand you had an argument with a broad when she insisted that you pause the goddamn movie.

Let me tell you that getting a gigantic majority of your poker pals on this forum to approve of what you did won't cut it with the girl. Telling her so might actually make things worse!

Just thought you should know.

Take care.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rick Nebiolo
11-26-2004, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rick,

I understand you had an argument with a broad when she insisted that you pause the goddamn movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO! I had an argument with a woman in my family (I'm too pc to use "broad" /images/graemlins/smirk.gif) because she is the one (along with my best friend on other occasions) who gets up in the middle of the scene, insists I don't pause - I feel I have to pause and rewind to the beginning of the interrupted scene to preserve continuity. Anyway, see my other response posted three minutes before you posted the above.

~ Rick

PS This is the last time I start a thread after drinking holiday wine while in a hurry /images/graemlins/confused.gif

David Steele
11-26-2004, 11:27 AM
They should wait til the end of the MOVIE.

D.

razor
11-26-2004, 11:45 AM
damn... and I thought this thread was gonna be about Don Cheadle.

John Cole
11-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Rick,

We feel the same on this one. (And, I didn't even have to look at the responses to know which agent you were in the scenario. /images/graemlins/grin.gif) Of course, Mary simply gets up whenever she needs to, but she doesn't like most of the movies I watch anyway. Besides, sometimes it's sort of hard to tell where the scene actually ends. I say don't get up for anything if you can help it.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

Rick Nebiolo
11-26-2004, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We feel the same on this one. (And, I didn't even have to look at the responses to know which agent you were in the scenario. /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that the poll wasn't exactly scientific or fairly worded - in fact the wording of the questions (especially the second) and both sets of responses makes it more likely that I would look bad (I'm an anal retentive nit!). Of course you know I'm anal retentive, but in a nice way /images/graemlins/grin.gif . And I'm not a nit (ask mike l.) even if Clarkmeister said so, but it sort of fit the forum so I went with it.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, Mary simply gets up whenever she needs to, but she doesn't like most of the movies I watch anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very few people like the movies you watch, that's why all of your friends in the Rhode Island/Mass area and those that have come to know you on this forum call them "John Cole movies". I like some of them, but I go in prepared with the right mindset.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, sometimes it's sort of hard to tell where the scene actually ends. I say don't get up for anything if you can help it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to tape some episodes of "Law and Order" and its varients or similar shows such as "Homicide". The scenes are right around 90 seconds plus or minus a few seconds and if you want to follow the story you can't miss any. E and I were always on the same page, taking breaks (if we bothered) only at the end of the scene. My problem is with G and J. It can be fifteen seconds from the end of a crucial scene and it's out of the chair to get a popsicle. The popsicle can wait fifteen f___ing seconds!

[ QUOTE ]
Ars longa, vita brevis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have my Latin to English translator link handy. Maybe you can elaborate in English /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

Rick Nebiolo
11-26-2004, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They should wait til the end of the MOVIE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. Quick story:

Years ago at a rare opportunity where my brother, parents and I were all together at the homestead we (actually it was my idea) decided to watch a tape of Sophie's Choice. This is the time before cell phones and a call after 9:00 pm usually meant somebody in the extended family was very sick or dead.

Anyway, without disturbance (except one restroom/snack break AT THE END OF A SCENE) we get to the part of the movie when Sophie is about to be faced with her infamous choice. It was 10:00 pm. At that exact moment the phone rings for my brother (friends had found out he was in town). He goes on to chat for ten minutes.

We never finished the movie.

I like to watch serious drama in the theater on the big screen. But if I do rent a movie or DVD I turn off the phone. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

~ Rick

John Cole
11-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Rick,

I'm at work, and I still have about eighty papers to correct. (Thought I'd whine a little first.)

Latin: Art lasts a long time, but life is short.

My take: there's only so many movies I can see in a lifetime. Okay, here's the last few I've seen: George Washington; Breathless; Persona; The Son; The Philadelphia Story (Hey, how'd that get in there); Blow-up. Hell, I even listen to the commentaries. Tonight I'm looking forward to Jan Svankmajer's Faust.

Rick, you should use the old novel device for the initials:
G____ and J_____. Supposed to lend realism.

Bye,

John

SomethingClever
11-26-2004, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But it's not as bad as incessant talking during a movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen, brother. Two recent movies I saw in the theater were totally ruined because of dumbasses talking.

During the last one, "The Manchurian Candidate," some retarded fat guy and his wife could not shut up about the most obvious and basic plot points. They were sitting right next to us, and people kept shushing them, but they kept right at it.

I only paid $3 for the movie, but I was about to strangle the both of them.

Note: I don't think they were literally retarded, but I could be wrong.

Rick Nebiolo
11-27-2004, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rick, you should use the old novel device for the initials:
G____ and J_____. Supposed to lend realism.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it was the first time i've ever used initials but if there is a next time i will. looks sort of cool /images/graemlins/grin.gif

oh yeah, forget you don't like those smiley face thingys. or was that another poster?

edit: now i remember. you don't like lack of capitalization. or is it you don't like lack of caps and smiley faces /images/graemlins/smile.gif

~ rick

Rick Nebiolo
11-27-2004, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it's not as bad as incessant talking during a movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen, brother. Two recent movies I saw in the theater were totally ruined because of dumbasses talking.

[/ QUOTE ]

weekday matinées for not too popular movies are the nuts. just saw "motorcycle dairies" and was one of two people in the theater and since i'm a "sit close to the screen type of guy" he (or it could have been a she) sat about 60 feet away.

~ rick