PDA

View Full Version : poker superstars invitational

theBruiser500
11-25-2004, 04:34 PM
i'm watching some 10 person poker thingy on tv now and just couldn't believe how bad the commentating in. it makes absolutely no sense, it's so bad i don't know how i ever watched poker on tv. also the hands they show are retarded, they really need to start showing every hand in a touranment

daryn
11-25-2004, 04:56 PM
poker on tv blows. i have said this for a long time now. the only way it would be good is if they showed every hand.

Benal
11-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Isn't FOX working on something along those lines?

daryn
11-25-2004, 05:10 PM
not sure but i know they did a tourney at turning stone like that. phil ivey won.

italianstang
11-25-2004, 05:30 PM
PSI's commentating is so bad partly because Chris Rose is a complete douche. I met him at Best Damn Sports Show a year or two ago and thought he was a complete douche in person too.

ClaytonN
11-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Live poker needs to be the future. Long-term run it'll be regarded the same way golf is, but that's better than it being a fad the way backgammon was...

Beavis68
11-25-2004, 09:01 PM
I wish somebody would shoot mickael konik.

mojorisin24
11-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Yes, poker really does have to be converted to a live TV format. Showing how the best players accumlate(d) their stacks would make for a far better product, although viewers would have to invest an inordinate amount of time to watch such a thing. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

housenuts
11-26-2004, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Live poker needs to be the future. Long-term run it'll be regarded the same way golf is, but that's better than it being a fad the way backgammon was...

[/ QUOTE ]

when was backgammon a fad?

Jeffro
11-26-2004, 12:15 PM
Back in the late 70's

italianstang
11-26-2004, 07:05 PM
I have had several people explain this to me and I still don't understand. Can anyone clearly write out the structure of the Poker Superstars Invitational? I consider myself at least moderately bright and I don't understand how it works. There are series' and rounds and a championship event (on NBC for some reason) and some chip stacks carry over from something to another. Anyone know for sure how it works?

wjmooner
11-27-2004, 12:10 AM
Eventually I think most of the major tourneys will end up being done similar to the structure of a golf tourney on TV. Lipstick cams on every table or something like that, and they'll show 4 or 5 hours of coverage live during the first couple of days, jumping from table to table and showing interesting hands.

Especially if the Gambling channel pops up I could see them doing first 3 days of a WPT event live and then showing the final table live on Travel Channel.

They really could speed up things quite a bit on final tables. I would think you could literally have 10 decks shuffled and ready to go and rotate them in and out every hand, along with a "shot clock." Make it so it lasts 3-4 hours max with the blinds and it would be great.

I wonder how much 1000 lipstick cams cost?

WJ

private joker
11-27-2004, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
along with a "shot clock."

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I really hate the shot clock. What an annoying invention. The one time they tried that on the WPT it was a disaster. I hope it's gone for good.

Nagoo81
11-27-2004, 12:36 AM
Michael Konik could be the worst commentator ever. He says some of the most ridiculous things about certain plays and the players.

For instance, during one episode, supposedly he spots a 'tell' on Johnny Chan that he considers a 'classic tell' and fails to elaborate. First, I doubt Chan was showing a tell to begin with, and second, why wouldn't he explain to us about the tell? Horrible.

legend42
11-27-2004, 02:33 AM
Try this link, it explains it a bit:

PSI format (http://bigslicknews.com/2004/08/poker-superstars-format.html)

I believe the final rounds (which are really semi-finals, but...) have the same structure as the preliminary rounds, with double the amounts. So the most any player could begin the championship event with is 1 million in chips (out of $3.2 million total)- if they won both finals.

TheTimeIsUp
11-27-2004, 04:17 AM
I agree with how bad the superstars announcers are..especially when they try to be funny.

But, I love the 2 WSOP announcers. I still always laugh when one of them made a comment about Matias Amderson (The Screaming Swede) saying "I've seen him celebrate a good order at Burger King. Just great!

AngryCola
11-27-2004, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with how bad the superstars announcers are..especially when they try to be funny

[/ QUOTE ]

2 out of 3 of the PSI announcers are horrible.

Mark Gregorich seems to be constantly amazed by the stupid things he hears coming out of the other commentator's mouths. His uphill struggle to bring some actual substance to the commentary is a valiant effort. Mark is a very smart guy, and from what I hear, one of the great poker players out there.

Konik is possibly the most annoying person I have ever witnessed speaking in my life. Even his voice is grating.

The host (Chris Rose?) is completely ignorant and mildly annoying, but not as unbearable as Konik.

The combination of the two is hard to stomach.

Synth
11-27-2004, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wish somebody would shoot mickael konik.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he finds himself in a boxing ring you might just have your death wish come true. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Michael Konik could be the worst commentator ever. He says some of the most ridiculous things about certain plays and the players.

For instance, during one episode, supposedly he spots a 'tell' on Johnny Chan that he considers a 'classic tell' and fails to elaborate. First, I doubt Chan was showing a tell to begin with, and second, why wouldn't he explain to us about the tell? Horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

He failed to elaborate because he didn't spot a tell on Chan to begin with. Mike Konik can't read players, and if you ever get a chance to see his World Series Of BlackJack appearance you'll know exactly what I mean.

Synth
11-27-2004, 04:38 AM
Speaking of announcers, I can't stand Norman Chad. I'd take Konik over that prick any given day.

AngryCola
11-27-2004, 05:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of announcers, I can't stand Norman Chad. I'd take Konik over that prick any given day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't agree. Konik is completely unbearable. I don't really like Norman Chad, but even he wouldn't say some of the crap that spews forth from Konik's mouth.

phixxx
11-27-2004, 06:48 AM
Agreed, Konik is a complete idiot. Howard Lederer rightfully disagrees and sounds displeased with everything that comes out of this idiots mouth. His little speeches before the tournaments?

"The one that will win this tournament is the person who can look into the opponents souls, and see what they don't want him to see."

Thanks for that Michael!

GimmeDaWatch
11-27-2004, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PSI's commentating is so bad partly because Chris Rose is a complete douche. I met him at Best Damn Sports Show a year or two ago and thought he was a complete douche in person too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes, Fox Sports evidently has a secret lame white sports commentator douche machine that can just keep pumping them out forever. Based on some of the things Chris Rose says on the show, I question whether or not he's ever played a single hand of Holdem.

GimmeDaWatch
11-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Anyone know when the final is on? I havent been able to find a schedule anywhere.

ToledoTommy
11-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Michael Konik is so bad it's not funny. They could have found just about anyone else in the English-speaking world. His comments are ridiculous on multiple levels. The crazy thing is that I enjoy reading his stories, I have both his books. But then I like Positively Fifth Street and thought Jim McManus looked like the biggest moron in the poker world on the WSOP telecast.

The PSI finals are supposed to be on NBC sometime in February. That's all I know.

private joker
11-27-2004, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know when the final is on? I havent been able to find a schedule anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Super Bowl Sunday.

GimmeDaWatch
12-01-2004, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Super Bowl Sunday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sorry, but thats just completely retarded. Are the networks in charge of poker shows deliberately trying to
destroy all goodwill with their fanbase? The wait for the WSOP airing was pretty terrible too, but this is seriously annoying for no good reason.

BadVoodooX
12-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Are you people serious? I think those complaining have their priorities seriously backwards. If you are any sort of serious poker player, having poker shows broadcast on Super Bowl Sunday is bloody perfect, anything that entices more fish into the aquarium is good, just deal with the wait.

AngryCola
12-01-2004, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im sorry, but thats just completely retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to the networks. Last year they ran a poker show against the superbowl, and it got the best ratings of any show up against the bowl in years.