PDA

View Full Version : QQ against draw

Shorty35
11-25-2004, 01:52 PM
This hand has been eating at me for some time; I would appreciate any critique.

$500 buy-in NL B&M tourney (foxwoods a few weeks ago). We are about 1/3 of the way through the field - which is thinning fast. I am new to a table with about T3800 (probably around high average) and there are two large stacks at the table (one is Evelyn Ng on my immediate right) when the following hand comes up:

Blinds at 100/200. I am dealt Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG+1. I raise to T600. All fold to SB who calls. SB is a large stack with about T12,000. BB folds.

Flop comes: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, I bet T1200, SB calls. At this point I put him on a flush draw; I figure that he would have bet trips with this flop.

Turn card comes 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I dont like the str8 potential of the board right now - but I was pretty certain that he was on the flush draw.

SB checks and I bet T1200 (should I have pushed?; the possibility of a trips slowplay was still nagging me), SB calls.

River comes J /images/graemlins/spade.gif, which I figure is good for me.

to my surprise, SB bets T800 and I make a crying call figuring (correctly) that he backed into a str8.

SB shows K /images/graemlins/spade.gif,T /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Did I play this wrong, or did I just end up on the wrong end of a big stack who decided to thread the needle for a big pot?

willperkins
11-25-2004, 02:37 PM
I would have pushed the turn, although it probably would not have made any difference. If he called t1200 with two overcards and a back door str8, he will surely call t2400 with two over cards and an open ended str8 draw.

I think he was incorrect to call your inital preflop raise, and your flop bet (in a ring game yes, in a tourney no) but it worked out for him.

Synth
11-25-2004, 02:47 PM
I push the turn. The pot by the turn was 3800 and you have about 2000 before betting 1/2 your stack.

woodguy
11-25-2004, 02:48 PM
Your turn bet was the same as the flop bet.

On the flop it was good as it was about the size of the pot.

On the turn it was bad as now it 1/3 size of the pot so you are giving good odds to draw, and it looks weak so the SB may have put you on whiffed overcards.

You only had 2000 left and the pot is 3600, If you are going to make a bet, it should be all your chips, letting the SB know you have a hand to showdown. Betting 1200 looks like you left 800 behind for an escape hatch.

If you think you are behind on the turn you can check behind and then fold to a reasonable bet on the river or call a small bet and save your chips.

(his flop call was atrocious, the turn call not as bad)

Regards,
Woodguy

Lurshy
11-25-2004, 03:06 PM
With that flop, I over bet the pot, looking to take it down, and not giving odds to someone to draw out on me. I would do this to push an Ax out of the pot, as that would be a hand he he may have called PF with. If His Ax hit an under pair, he may call a big bet while being behind, which is ok too.

I would also think if he hit a pair, or had an overpair he should bet out, so your oversized bet is probably safe from a trap at this point (though he checks a set here).

With my stack size as it was, that probably means a push on the flop, or a bet a bit smaller than my stack size to confuse the SB a bit.

The board is dangerous to have a blind in on it, even if he called a raise PF, try to take it down early, your hand is to vulnerable

His call(s) are defintely surprising though, as he had no real draw and fairly weak over cards. He must have put you on a steal.

JaBlue
11-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Push the turn.

Also I'm curious as to what made you think that he was on a flush draw. Why can't he be on a straight draw? I can see calling from the SB as a big stack with a suited connector J10, 56, 67, etc. Obviously your opponent played the hand horribly, but what can you do?

zaxx19
11-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Im sorry why is this ever a good call on the flop?? Im not a huge ring game player but overall profitable still cant see why you call any meaningful bet on the flop here...what yu looking too turn??

zaxx19
11-25-2004, 11:01 PM
yeah why the flush ...Im thinking j10 all the way here...This is just a case where the big stacks is in "im gonna bust someone i dont care how awful odds are laying me mode" sounds like when i got QQ busted to some stack calling 6 BB to see a flop heads up with 10-9 offsuit....7-8-6 flopped yikes...These bullies usually bust mid tourney when they get trapped against a set,It just sucks when they suck out on you.

Shorty35
11-26-2004, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the critique. I think you're all correct, that the push would have been better on the turn -- it was just one of those moments of weakness where chip conservation got the better of me. (If only I had more chips....)