PDA

View Full Version : Proper buy-in for Stud 8 game? Reasonable goals in BB/hr?

Iron
11-25-2004, 01:38 PM
Sorry if this has been covered, but I searched but couldn't find an answer to these questions. Maybe I'm missing a key word or something.

In HE people often recommend 20-30X Big Bet as a buy in. What about at Stud 8, with the extra betting round and the jamming you can see on several rounds of betting?

I'm also wondering what sort of results, either in Big bets per hour or similar measure, would you consider to be the benchmark for success in Stud 8? In HE you will often hear 1 BB/hr in profit over the long term used as a benchmark.

Andy B
11-25-2004, 01:44 PM
I buy in for 25-30 BB, and try to have at least 20 BB in front of me at all times so that if a jamming opportunity comes up, I can take advantage of it. I don't know what my win rate is, but a good player against weak opposition should be able to do a lot better than 1 BB/hr.

Cooling Heels
11-25-2004, 02:56 PM
1 BB per hour may be a reasonable objective in a B&M house,
but you can win at a much faster clip online as the games move 4 or 5 times as fast with a lower rake and no dealer tokes.

20 to 30 BB is an acceptable start, but more important than initial stack size is watching your stack during the game. Replenish as necessary or you will be kicking yourself when you make an 6 high straight, or get the only low hand while two good high hands are duking it out. Or my favorite stud/8 hand, the hidden, small boat.

Also, check the rules before you start, house rules will vary. Most rooms have a 3 raise limit, but some are 4. Some places have unlimited raising when heads up, others don't.

good luck

Iron
11-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks, guys. I was worried I wasn't bringing enough to the virtual table, but it sounds like I'm ok with the 25 BB's I normally buy in with. I really appreciate your posts and responses to my questions, because advice on stud 8 seems a little hard to find.