PDA

View Full Version : NL HE hand 2

01-09-2002, 09:58 AM
This hand happened in the first 15 minutes of our NL HE home tourney last night. You can rebuy for the first hour for half the starting chips for half the buy-in. Most of the stacks are around T1500, blinds are 5-10. UTG raises to 20, early position player semi-maniac (EPSM)calls, middle position player (MP) reraises to 100, all fold to button who looks down and sees pocket jacks and calls the 100. Blinds fold. UTG reraises to 300, EPSM calls the 300, MP moves in.

1.You are on the button with your jacks, what is your play?

2. Do you think he was right in calling the initial reraise to T100?

3. What would you do with QQ, or KK?

I'll tell you the results and my comments later. I know I don't provide much on the players, let's assume you don't know the raisers.

Thanks,

Nicolas Fradet (The Prince)

01-09-2002, 01:21 PM

I would normally muck JJ at this point. Now if the players in this tourney are crazy during the rebuy period then it might be right to call.

I have no problem with the initial call of the T100. I might re-raise to 250 or so but if I don't know the players then the UTG limp is a big question.

3. What would you do with QQ, or KK?

I think QQ plays similar to JJ. I would most likely call with KK although someone is certainly screaming AA. I have yet to lay KK down before the flop.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

01-09-2002, 04:08 PM
The initial call for T100 okay. Once the betting is back with me I fold JJ QQ and KK why because AA is out there, if it is'nt then it should be!!

In this situation you would be better off with suited low connectors such as 65 not that I would play them either!! Well I might just for the hell of it if the rebuy did'nt put much of a dent in the bankroll.

No doubt the results will make this post look very foolish but the action screams Aces in all but the wildest of games.

Ross

01-09-2002, 08:06 PM

Fold Fast. You're almost certainly way behind, and at best there are many overcards out against you.

Yes. Good opportunity to flop a set and win some serious chips.

3. What would you do with QQ?

Fold, for the same reasons as the jacks.

KK?

OK, this one is tougher. I would call unless I knew something about the players, especially when I still have a rebuy. Then I would kick myself later for getting chips in in a questionable spot.

Matt

01-09-2002, 10:01 PM
I like the call of T100 with any pair there. You've got position and a chance to flop a set and win back 14:1 or better on your call. However, once it's all-in preflop, you should fold, including QQ and KK.

The only reasonable hands that UTG and MP can hold are AA and KK. If you've got KK, at least one of them must have AA.

If they're capable (and maybe even prone) to making these plays with lesser hands, then you should know this and have told us. ;-)

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

01-10-2002, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the replies...

I was actually MP in that hand, and I had AA.

UTG had KK.

The guy on the button with JJ ended up calling, as well as UTG and the EPSM (who had 66, go figure...). So a 4 way all-in pot.

I was the only one in the hand with enough equity (all others will win less than 25%, actually, less than 18%).

Unfortunatly, a K flopped and UTG took it. Ah well...

The reason I posted this hand is that I was arguing with some friends after the hand that I would have folded JJ, QQ and probably KK in this situation. They were saying to the contrary especially since it was in the rebuy stages on the tourney.

Thanks,

Nicolas Fradet (The Prince)

01-10-2002, 09:48 PM
rebuy stages. I love that line.

The only reason rebuy stage should figure into your decision is when you are determining what your opponents are thinking.

In my play, there is no difference between rebuy period and after rebuy period (until we start to get near the money). In either case, you should play to maximize equity, which is pretty much identical to chip count.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

01-11-2002, 10:28 AM
Yeah, that's what I tried explaining but I'm still working on the convincing part.