PDA

View Full Version : When AK misses the flop + a question about calling down

brizzypare
11-25-2004, 05:58 AM
I'm beginning to think my AK play is pretty retched, and I'm looking for some advice on how to play it. Mainly it has to do with aggression when it misses me.

Here's how I currently play it: raise preflop (duh), then if the flop isn't insanely threatening, I autobet regardless of position. If I'm raised and don't suspect trips or two pair, I call and hope for the Ace or King on the turn. If I miss I check/fold. Should I fold to the raise on the flop? Should my autobet be dependent on position?

If I autobet the flop when it misses my AK and I get a few callers, I check and fold the turn to a bet. Should I raise again on the turn with just callers on the flop? Something tells me that's a waste of money.

Next, I have a question about calling down hands.

I raise with A/images/graemlins/club.gifT/images/graemlins/club.gif from the CO, and the button calls me. The blinds fold making the hand heads up.

Flop: T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, and the button raises me. What do I do? WLLHE says he's telling me he can beat top pair, but I find myself wanting to call it down most of the time. Do you call it down in this situation if you have no read on the person, or does it take a read to be able to call down to a raise like this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

aron
11-25-2004, 06:07 AM
Your A /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif I would probably try to reraise while the bets are cheap and see what the button does.
To me it seems that the button is suspecting that you tried a stealraise preflop and that he is using a stop 'n go in hope that you are going to fold this.

The PF action indicates that he doesn't have a wired pair bigger than your tens, that he ought to have reraised.

-aron

detruncate
11-25-2004, 07:22 AM
Sounds like you're playing fairly sensibly. There are a lot of good threads out there that deal with overcards.

Try this one (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=&Number=779908&page=&v iew=&sb=5&o=&fpart=) and this one (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1183962&page=&view=&s b=5&o=) to start with, and exercise your search muscles if you're in the mood to explore the topic further.

As for your AT hand... I 3-bet the flop and check/call from there if I'm capped and don't improve.

pointcount
11-25-2004, 09:52 AM
I 3 bet the flop if its capped call it down unimproved.

ncboiler
11-25-2004, 11:59 AM
As far the A/K question and how to play it...and any hand for that matter... depends on many things none of which you state in your question. They are pot size, how many people in the hand, what reads do you have. Post some examples where you thing your play was "retched" and many good players will help you out.

Second question...re-raise.