PDA

View Full Version : Too passive with strong hands?

john smith
11-25-2004, 05:52 AM
I feel like I should be betting/raising more and extracting more bets... I especially have trouble on the river, I almost always check when it seems like I should have bet.

Here are a few examples:

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

Villian shows a K-5o

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6 BB

Villian shows 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for a pair of 5s

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

Villian shows A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

The two remaining players showed pairs of jacks, and the guy with a queen kicker won the pot.

Should i be betting more? Any suggestions on how i can improve my aggression? Thanks!

aron
11-25-2004, 06:22 AM
People seem to prefer that you don't post the results since that will affect their thinking.
Personally I would prefer that You made this 4 different posts, a hell of a lot easier to focus on one hand.

That said, I will tell you what I think (which might be totally incorrect) of the first two hands.

Hand one, I'd prefer to raise this preflop against two limpers, this might be a bit iffy, but anyways.
Turn, why don't you bet? You dont want to give a freecard to a flushdraw, you might even make a weak ace fold.
I would bet out the river to.

Hand 2: Once again I'd raise the flop (i might be to agressive PF) and then I'd raise the flop. You have top pair with a really good kicker. If that wasn't reraised I'd bet out the turn and if I still wasn't raised I'd bet the river to.

-aron

milesdyson
11-25-2004, 06:24 AM
Hand 1:
Bet the turn. If he calls and checks the river, check behind. If he check raises you on the turn, call but fold the river unless an 8, K, or J comes.

Hand 2:
Raise preflop. Raise the flop. One of these players will usually cold call you with Kx or even some terrible gutshot straight draw.

Hand 3:
Consider a three-bet preflop. It will most likely put you heads up against UTG and anyone who coldcalls is probably making a big mistake. Good flop raise. Turn looks like he hit a J or is bluffing it, so I wouldn't give him credit for it, but I wouldn't raise here either. I also check behind on the river.

Hand 4:
Call the flop raise but fold the turn unless you improve. MP2 could be raising an OESD here.

sin808
11-25-2004, 06:39 AM
hand 1: since you checked the turn I think you have to bet the river.

hand 2: pf I'd raise or fold usually depending on the table. Calling isn't all THAT bad, but it'd be the last choice on my list.
raise the flop, bet/raise the turn depending on what happened after you raised the flop.
Given the way you played the hand I think checking the river is fine.

Those are as far as I got before I lost my attention span.

pointcount
11-25-2004, 10:04 AM
hand 1:
bet the turn he hasn't shown any strength yet.
i'd probably check behind him on the river to get a cheaper showdown.

hand 2:
raise the flop - protect your hand against a large field I'd like to force them to call 2 bets cold.

hand 3:
I think this is okI'd probably like a read on the villan to determine if the J really was a help or not...

hand 4:
Hands like this I might try to check raise on the flop to see what my opponents holdings are. If you are 3 bet I'd usually call and fold unimproved. Betting out although not a bad play doesn't give you as much information as the check raise because someone with MP may raise to protect. I think 3 betting this is a bit of an overplay am I wrong to think this?