PDA

View Full Version : Strange trend in NL T's?

01-06-2002, 06:18 AM
I have noticed that when they move a player to my table on his first hand he often makes a big move at the pot if nobody has called yet.

I often avoid making any attempt to get involved out of fear he has a good hand (I dont know how he has been playing)..

..is there a tournament strategy book which suggests such a play has a high chance of success?

It seems to me the player takes the pot down without contest most of the time.

01-06-2002, 11:58 AM
chicago sam petrillo would always make a move, either at a new tourney table, or the start of a cash g...once he hadd aa, got called by ajs,,,flop as j, rag, rag...sam went all in, got called all-in, while the chips were still being carried over to the table to start the g...of course, a j turned...sam ripped the aa up with bare hands....(permanent cards),,,but he wasn't gonna let them beat him again...later he said virtually all of his long term profit was stealing the blinds at the start of a g(or table in tourney)..just a thought...gl

01-06-2002, 12:05 PM
I might make that move in a tourney with generally good players. Good players usually avoid confrontations when they have no idea where they're at in the hand. However, weak players are always looking for an excuse to call, and if they don't know you, they get suspicious, and that's a good enough excuse for them.

I'm surprised you see that move working so often, since I'm guessing you're mostly referring to the Tuesday night NL HE tourney. I don't make that move there, but when I get to the new table and find a hand, I usually get excess action on my play.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

01-07-2002, 01:13 PM
a friend tells me he does this online

but adds that it seems to work better in either early or late stages of tourney than in mid

don't know if I will try...like some feel about whom I bluff at????