PDA

View Full Version : Tired and/or bored = tilt! :(

AA suited
11-25-2004, 12:55 AM
Never play when tired. you're going to be tempted to go all in just to get some rest/sleep.

i began playing NL ring games for the bonus. For months i was exclusively SnG's. even quad-tabling i was bored. for a couple of hrs i just sat there folded most of the time.

it got to a point where i started playing like a LAG. when i lost all my $ at one table, that was when i decided to stop.

what i learned:
1) if you have thoughts of sleep OR poker, take sleep.

2) when you START feeling bored, quit!

spentrent
11-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Great advice!

Also, don't try to win it all back after a bum session. You WON'T.

snowmen
11-25-2004, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great advice!

Also, don't try to win it all back after a bum session. You WON'T.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have just lost 110$ and i am quitting , i cannot get that money back , tomorrow will be another day /images/graemlins/wink.gif

stupidsucker
11-25-2004, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to play professionaly you have to overcome this. I play bored all the time. Smashing down your emotions is a big part of playing continuous winning poker. If you play emotionless, it does take the fun out of poker.

Forgive me if someone differs from this oppinion, but there is no way I would make rent if I quit every time I was bored.

snowmen
11-25-2004, 01:14 AM
I agree with you but sometimes a rest is needed

ilya
11-25-2004, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to play professionaly you have to overcome this. I play bored all the time. Smashing down your emotions is a big part of playing continuous winning poker. If you play emotionless, it does take the fun out of poker.

Forgive me if someone differs from this oppinion, but there is no way I would make rent if I quit every time I was bored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear, hear.
Of course it's different if poker isn't your primary/sole source of income. But if it is, you simply MUST learn to play your A game even when bored.
I doubt there's a single thing in the world that a person can do for a living that isn't boring for long stretches.

Rest is for the weak! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

AA suited
11-25-2004, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was playing ring games to clear the bonus. since i only need 700 raked hands, i was playing ABC poker (ie: no bluffing). after an hr of playing a little less than 1 non-blind hand per orbit per table, i got bored. after 1.5hrs, i started playing more hands (looser) and became a LAG. and started losing $.

after 2 hrs of play, i'm down $25. it takes 4hrs for me to clear 700 raked hands. so now if i just break even to get the $100 bonus, i would only make $75 profit for 4hrs play which is a little less than $20/hr. (i make $25/hr on SnG's.)

with SnG's, i would play ABC for about 20 min. after that, blinds start to get high and i need to start stealing to survive. so i dont get bored.

i've cleared other bonuses b4, but i dont know why this time i'm bored in ring games?

zephyr
11-25-2004, 02:28 AM
I have a similar problem, except instead of ring games its when I play in a home game with my buds. Its basically quarter poker, and with all the chatting we probably get about 20 hands an hour in. Its kind of fun to use as an emotional release though, so I play every hand and just have fun being a huge LAG, and reading hands. The best part is that they all think I suck at poker.

For me its an important release that helps to keep my SNG game at its best. Most people probably dont need this, but I think its great.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr

stupidsucker
11-25-2004, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a similar problem, except instead of ring games its when I play in a home game with my buds. Its basically quarter poker, and with all the chatting we probably get about 20 hands an hour in. Its kind of fun to use as an emotional release though, so I play every hand and just have fun being a huge LAG, and reading hands. The best part is that they all think I suck at poker.

For me its an important release that helps to keep my SNG game at its best. Most people probably dont need this, but I think its great.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr

[/ QUOTE ]

I let loose in a lot of small stakes home games as well. Helps remind me what I do love about the game. I spend 8 hours a day playing tight poker, why do I want to play perfect poker in a game that might net me $5/hour if I play it correctly.

If you play poker as a hobby and not for $$$$ for rent then I agree 100% that boredom is an enemy. Why play for fun if you are bored anyways?

stupidsucker
11-25-2004, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
after 2 hrs of play, i'm down $25. it takes 4hrs for me to clear 700 raked hands. so now if i just break even to get the $100 bonus, i would only make $75 profit for 4hrs play which is a little less than $20/hr. (i make $25/hr on SnG's.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont even bother with bonuses anymore. They are a waste of time if you can make more $$/hour playing your regular game. If you can combine the two then its a great little boost though. SnG rake doesnt count towards bonus clearning on empire (I think it used to)

Bonus whoring can be a fun great way to build a bankroll from scratch. The empire 500 was fantasitc for me getting my feet of the ground to go 100% pro. Havent looked back since.

texasrattlers
11-25-2004, 06:40 AM
Have to make a plug for Stars here -- they have 5 or 6 rebuy bonuses a year and SNGs count towards earning the points to get the bonus.

networkman
11-25-2004, 07:50 AM
My main games are Party 30+3 NLHE SnG's but to blow off steam I love to play .50 limit omaha full ring games, talk about loose....wooohoooo

AA suited
11-25-2004, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont even bother with bonuses anymore. They are a waste of time if you can make more $$/hour playing your regular game. If you can combine the two then its a great little boost though. SnG rake doesnt count towards bonus clearning on empire (I think it used to)

Bonus whoring can be a fun great way to build a bankroll from scratch. The empire 500 was fantasitc for me getting my feet of the ground to go 100% pro. Havent looked back since.

[/ QUOTE ]

i get 45 raked hands per table x 4 tables = 180. 700 raked hands = ~4hrs. $100/4 = $25/hr if i just break even, which is the same as my SnG rate. and i was averaging $2/hr per table (10/hr profit for the quad) until i became a LAG and ended up -$25 /images/graemlins/frown.gif

stupidsucker
11-25-2004, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have to make a plug for Stars here -- they have 5 or 6 rebuy bonuses a year and SNGs count towards earning the points to get the bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]

my $$/hour rate would still be lower there. Party has a reload bonus almost every month.

[ QUOTE ]
i get 45 raked hands per table x 4 tables = 180. 700 raked hands = ~4hrs. $100/4 = $25/hr if i just break even, which is the same as my SnG rate. and i was averaging $2/hr per table (10/hr profit for the quad) until i became a LAG and ended up -$25

[/ QUOTE ]

Until I moved up to the 30+3s 8tabling it was worth it for me too, but now its just not. I think I could clear about 200hands/hour 4tabling a NL ring at .20/hand that is about $40/hour breaking even. I guess if I was able to 8 table NL rings for the bonus then it would be worth it. my SnG rate is about $65/hour.

HoldingFolding
11-25-2004, 09:13 PM
I would add some obvious mistakes that I know I make:

Don't sit at an SnG (or even worse an MTT) if you have somewhere you have to be before it finishes. So for a reasonably sized MTT you need at least 5 hours. I've been close to the money before and made stupid bets because of this.

Don't sit down if there's a good chance you will be interrupted - example the kids are going to be home in about 30 minutes.

Don't play wasted (although just a few pints seems to help my game).

Don't play when irritated or angry. You won't be able to concentrate.

I'm guilty of all the above and it affects my ROI.