PDA

View Full Version : flopped top two pair, pre-flop raiser to my left, how to maximize bets

Rhone
11-25-2004, 12:28 AM
I think this might be my first small stakes post.

My question is whether I played this too fast. I figure I'm ahead, and I'm thinking about how to maximize winnings. With no reads on any opponents (sorry, but it's true), should I have checked the flop and simply called a bet from MP2, then gone for a check raise on the turn? Another option would have been to bet the flop and call what I figure would be a raise from MP2, but that would have forced MP3 to call two bets. I don't want that, do I?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (8.16 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

MrJitney
11-25-2004, 01:33 AM
Is 2 pair on this board a slowplaying hand? There are a lot of scary cards left in the deck. I guess given the preflop action, you're probably up against big pairs or AK, but with no reads I'd still be scared of broadway and the flush.

Plus, it would really suck if it checked around on fourth street.

I think a check raise on the flop is good.

Rhone
11-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the response. Clearly you think I should have been more scared on the flop than I obviously was, but you also endorse the flop check raise. Given your read of the board and my prospects, why wouldn't you favor a straight out flop bet to hopefully make the MP3 face calling two bets?

thanks,
Rhone.

MrJitney
11-26-2004, 12:42 AM
For me, this is a situation when my opponents would really determine my action on the flop. The reason I'd go for a check raise is that it shows more strength than betting out and would be more likely to give me control of the hand. Of course, 3betting the flop would accomplish that too.

But anyway, betting out and CRing the flop are probably pretty close EV. Does anyone disagree?

krishanleong
11-26-2004, 12:48 AM
Looks fine to me. A three bet usually means a big pair, or AK. A big pair may bet the flop and check the turn. Because of this, I like the flop checkraise. Once you fill, I think leading is best. You should get called by AK. QQ, KK should fold. If you try another checkraise or checkfall on the turn, most hands will check it through.

Krishan

The Dude
11-26-2004, 12:52 AM
There's really no other way to play this hand. When somebody 3-bets preflop, they're going to auto-bet the flop, virtually regardless of the board. (If he does check that almost always means a slowplay, like a flopped set.) That means if MP had KK or QQ, he's still betting this flop. So going for the check-raise is obvious and correct. If you're 3-bet, it's still more likely that he has AK than either AA or JJ.

Once you check-raise the flop, you MUST bet the turn. He's going to call you down w/ any A, but he'll check behind KK and QQ which each have two outs against you.

Well played. Don't be so fearful of monsters. You got a great flop with good relative position to the flop 3-bettor. Play it fast.