PDA

View Full Version : Quick computer/memory question

bxpeter
11-24-2004, 11:38 PM
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy another stick of memory for my computer (p4 2.4c). I currently have one stick of 512 mb kingston hyperx pc3500 ram. I purposely bought one stick instead of 2x256 so that I could later buy another 512 and take advantage of the dual ram thing my computer has.

Anyway, I'm really not familiar with the current state of memory technology. Does anyone think it would be a bad idea to buy another stick of this ram now? I mean - with DDR2 on the rise and what not, is my memory soon going to be obsolete (over the next 1-2 years)? should i just wait and do a whole mobo/memory upgrade?

Thanks

SamJack
11-24-2004, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy another stick of memory for my computer (p4 2.4c). I currently have one stick of 512 mb kingston hyperx pc3500 ram. I purposely bought one stick instead of 2x256 so that I could later buy another 512 and take advantage of the dual ram thing my computer has.

Anyway, I'm really not familiar with the current state of memory technology. Does anyone think it would be a bad idea to buy another stick of this ram now? I mean - with DDR2 on the rise and what not, is my memory soon going to be obsolete (over the next 1-2 years)? should i just wait and do a whole mobo/memory upgrade?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

It is true that the memory techonology continues to evolve both in terms of speed and size. However, these improvements are not typically backward compatible. In other words, you are stuck with the type and the speed of memory that your motherboard supports. Just make sure to buy memory that is compatible with your motherboard.

In order to take advantage of advance in memory technology that may materialize, you will most likely have to buy a new PC that can take advantage of it.

SamJack

Jim Kuhn
11-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Is there an easy way to tell what speed memory your motherboard can support? Thanks for your help!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif