PDA

View Full Version : BB Tournament Hand

01-03-2002, 07:42 PM
Its down to 21 players in a NL holdem tournament that pays the top 9 places. The blinds were 100/200 with 25 dollar antes. I was around the middle of the pack with 3500 in chips. Everyone folds to the button, who happens to be leading the tournament with 12000 in chips. He raises to 800 and the SB folds. You look down to see AJo. What is the best play?

01-03-2002, 07:56 PM
It really depends on what you think the button will do if you come over the top for 2900 more. There is only 1350 in the pot and so I would probably fold and wait to get involved with a hand against a smaller stack. In the later stages of tournaments, I try to attack the shorter stacks and keep away from the larger ones.

01-03-2002, 09:06 PM
iverson,

I believe you have only two choices and it depends on how you perceive your opponent.

If I thought that my opponent would fold his hand and protect his large stack, I would move in all my chips. Calling is out of the question, because you can not risk to lose a third of your stack, plus you are still in good chip position.

The other option is folding, especially if you think he will call more than half the time. It would be better at this point in the tournament for you to be the aggressor. Wait until you are in position and attack the blinds yourself when you are less likely to be called.

I've noticed from playing many tournaments that the big stacks don't get intimidated, and will usually call you.

Good Luck

Mark

01-04-2002, 11:20 AM
it's just not worth the risk against one who can eliminate you. wait

01-04-2002, 10:27 PM
I would frequently go all-in here.

Of course, it depends almost entirely on who is the big stack. If he is a big stack but is still playing (or has started playing) tight, then fold. If he's been using his stack to bully the table, then go all-in and figure you've got the best hand most of the time.

In other words, how many hands will he have raised with in the first place, and then how many of them will he fold if you go all-in? Against most players, all-in is the best move. Against a significant minority, folding is the right play.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

01-06-2002, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the responses. I decided to go all in with my AJo and he called me with 88. His hand held up and I was eliminated. In one case it seems if I had waited I would have had reasonable chances to get in the money, yet on the other hand, if I win that hand I have quite reasonable chances to win the tournament or to at least finish comfortably in the money.

01-06-2002, 06:38 AM
This is the classic situation.. 2 overcards vs a pocket pair.

It is best to not be all-in on other side of this matchup.