PDA

View Full Version : Calling BB raise from SB with a worthless suited hand

BadBatsuMaru
11-24-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on this.

Say I've got 7-2 suited in the small blind. SSH says I'm supposed to always complete with any suited hand. I would usually complete as long as there were more than 2 callers.

But say I complete and then the BB raises. Then I'm sitting here with a complete crap hand that can only hit a 2nd-rate flush and the occasional miracle paired board. Do I fold?

I think I should probably fold. It's just that I would never normally limp/fold against a raise. My thinking is that the reason I only play decent hands is that I'm worried about the raise, so I will never fold for only one more bet.

Are the rules different in the SB when the BB raises? I'm only paying 1/2 bet to play, so I think this should be treated the same as if I limped and then there was a raise and a re-raise before it got back to me, right?

Ajax410
11-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Once I call - I'm always in the hand for one more bet - the only exception to this is if I post...in which case I will not call a raise unless I have a decent hand...or if there are enough callers, suited cards.

Alex

Entity
11-24-2004, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once I call - I'm always in the hand for one more bet - the only exception to this is if I post...in which case I will not call a raise unless I have a decent hand...or if there are enough callers, suited cards.

Alex

[/ QUOTE ]
This is incorrect. There are many situations where you should be completing with a weak suited hand in the SB and folding when the BB raises.

This is one of those cases. Complete in the SB, then fold when it comes back to you.

Rob

prayformojo
11-24-2004, 08:05 PM
As long as there were a few limpers, your relative position to the pre-flop raiser is very good. Check raising a flopped flush draw will get at least two, and possibly four bets from each player into the pot. I'm not saying calling the second bet will always be correct, but you should consider this when deciding whether to call.

BadBatsuMaru
11-24-2004, 08:16 PM
So what are people's general calling standards against a BB raise? I would probably call any A/K, any Q down to Q-8 or J down to J-7, and any other connected or 1-gapped suited cards, unless it was an extremely small field.

Entity
11-24-2004, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what are people's general calling standards against a BB raise? I would probably call any A/K, any Q down to Q-8 or J down to J-7, and any other connected or 1-gapped suited cards, unless it was an extremely small field.

[/ QUOTE ]
Like you said, it depends on the size of the field. Your standards seem pretty good, though.

Rob

prayformojo
11-24-2004, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Like you said, it depends on the size of the field. Your standards seem pretty good, though.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I would add any pocket pair to the list.

Entity
11-24-2004, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely add any pocket pair to the list. Figured that was assumed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

BadBatsuMaru
11-24-2004, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was talking about worthless suited cards. Obviously you'd stay in with any decent hand.

TheHip41
11-24-2004, 09:09 PM
fold 7-2s the first time around. Suited trash is still trash