PDA

View Full Version : KK with AA flop against limp-reraising fish

dangerous_badman
11-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Hi all,

Another hand that I don't think I played that great. This post comes complete with my standard apology if the correct line is ultra-obvious to most. Would welcome comments...

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, <font color="red">UTG caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Pre-flop is a no-brainer, though I am a bit confused by UTG's limp-cap - he will limp or call two cold with basically anything but almost never raises (VP$IP 75, PFR 2). There was a very long pause before he capped PF; my assumption was that he had a couple of offsuit broadways or two-sooted, and he'd decided that if he was going to stay in he might as well cap it.

SB calling three cold does not concern me in the slightest as he is a cretin.

Flop: (17 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero...

An A at the flop wasn't part of the plan, but two cuts down the odds on another one being out. So I raise. UTG 3-bets, and it's time to reassess. He is a very unimaginative player, clearly isn't getting tricky with any kind of draw, and I can't believe he's doing this with a 3.

Consequently, I am now contemplating calling the 3-bet (I have the odds to call 1 SB to a 2-outer at the turn, no?) and folding the turn unimproved. Thoughts?

Piiop
11-24-2004, 06:57 PM
Yeah, the limp-cap is an interesting move which can mean AA/KK, mid pocket-pair, a mediocre hand that they just decided to cap with cuz it was raised, or complete junk.

On the flop, it's great that UTG+1 folds and now you only have the limp-capper and the SB to worry about. This is a situation where you're either way ahead or way, way behind. You also don't want to pay off a lot to showdown. The appearance of two of the Aces makes it less likely your opponent actually has an Ace or limp-capped with AA.

I think this would be a good place to employ the call down and bet if checked to strategy. The only other factor to consider is the SB, but with this board it's unlikely he's paying you off with any worse hand. If UTG was a known LAG, then you could toss in a few raises, but by your stats he isn't. Since he's not, I would call down.

pointcount
11-24-2004, 09:14 PM
I follow the same line F, PF. I would be folding the turn unimproved.