PDA

View Full Version : do i need to grow a pair? aces full

stinkypete
11-24-2004, 06:36 PM
I have played/observed 6 hands with the villain. He has VP$IP'd in 5 of them. He plays way too many hands, but I don't yet know how bad he is postflop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

I can put him on either an ace or a 6 at this point. I figure there's a decent chance I'm behind.

Turn: (6.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Beautiful card. Am I a moron for not capping here? I'm not sure what I was thinking... I guess I figured he's at the very least splitting. But given that he sucks pre-flop at the very least, it's probably more likely that I'm ahead than that he's ahead, no? I started questioning my play as soon as I called.

River: (12.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

For some reason I found myself thinking "what if he has AQ?" and just called again. I guess only having 6 hands against him made me give him the benefit of the doubt.

How many bets did I miss?

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

J.R.
11-24-2004, 06:51 PM
I have played/observed 6 hands with the villain. He has VP$IP'd in 5 of them

I have played 5 of 6 hands before, so i guess I play way too mnay hand as well. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif You know better than this.

why did you raise the flop?

cap the turn.

stinkypete
11-24-2004, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have played/observed 6 hands with the villain. He has VP$IP'd in 5 of them

I have played 5 of 6 hands before, so i guess I play way too mnay hand as well. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif You know better than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that he played 5 of 6 hands means it's very likely that he plays way too many hands. it's a perfectly valid read. it may not be 100% reliable, but it gives me something to work with. if i'd said he played 2 of 6 hands, that would mean nothing. 5 of 6 is significant.

In my original post i said "He plays way too many hands". I should have said "He probably plays way too many hands".

[ QUOTE ]

why did you raise the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

because i figure i'm ahead and i want to get money in the pot. if i get 3-bet i can start considering being behind. what's your line?

[ QUOTE ]

cap the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i dont know what i was thinking.

J.R.
11-24-2004, 07:10 PM
"because i figure i'm ahead and i want to get money in the pot. if i get 3-bet i can start considering being behind. what's your line?"

Call. You are fairly well ahead or fairly well behind, don't mind the BB calling, don't want to stop a bluff/fold a weak hand with few outs (a pair has 2 outs, two undercards need runner-runner) and can't protect against a chop with Ax if a broadway card turns or rivers and counterfits your kicker.

jayrutz2
11-24-2004, 07:18 PM
I like the pre-flop raise. With one limper who played last 5 of 6(did he limp all of these?) the exact guys you want in are the K10 Ajunks of the world, which he probably limps ALL the time.

CAP turn, no hand puts you behind, right?

Raise river, if he's got AQ, I'm awfull suprised.

stinkypete
11-24-2004, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

CAP turn, no hand puts you behind, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

he could have 66.

the thing is, no rational player would 3-bet here with anything less than an ace, unless they have me on a pure bluff. that means i'm either splitting or behind and drawing to 1 out, splitting most of the time.

capping is the correct play if my opponent isn't rational though. i have 6 hands with him, which seem to suggest he may not be rational, but i can't be sure.

jayrutz2
11-24-2004, 07:35 PM
I agree most likely result is a chop. I put him on a singleton 6 more than a pair, just mathematically, right?

Since in a chop, raising just gives money to house, I still think I raise turn on chance he has a single 6, and then probably call down a re-raise and river bet...

Curious, results?

StellarWind
11-25-2004, 02:47 AM
You seem to not realize that you are often freerolling on the turn against another ace. Your kicker is clean. His may not be.

J.R. made an excellent point about just calling the flop. You are so hard to catch when you are ahead that the way ahead/way behind theory applies against two opponents. The ideal is two opponents and one bet on every street.

stinkypete
11-25-2004, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You seem to not realize that you are often freerolling on the turn against another ace. Your kicker is clean. His may not be.

J.R. made an excellent point about just calling the flop. You are so hard to catch when you are ahead that the way ahead/way behind theory applies against two opponents. The ideal is two opponents and one bet on every street.

[/ QUOTE ]

very good points. thank you.

krishanleong
11-26-2004, 01:13 AM
Why assume you are behind of the flop to an Ace? Most players would raise AK,AQ,AJ from MP1. He may have a 6, he may have a weak Ace. He may have a PP &gt; 6. Players at 2/4 can be very wild.

On the turn, I cap every time.

On the river, AQ doesn't even enter my mind as I continue to raise.

From the tone of your post, you took down the pot and he probably showed a 6. Let this be a lesson. 2/4 players can go wild with less than premium hands. Raise and reraise will hands like these in the future.