PDA

View Full Version : Why raise 99 behind several callers?

BadBatsuMaru
11-24-2004, 06:30 PM
I've read several books (including Miller/Sklansky's SSH a couple times) and I just don't understand why you're supposed to raise 99 pre-flop.

It makes some sense if you're UTG, or in any situation where raising could limit the field, but, for example, if I get TT in the small blind, I don't understand why I should raise this. Yet Miller/Sklansky specifically say that you should be raising JJ, TT, even 99 from the blinds, even behind 6+ callers.

What I really don't understand is that you're supposed to raise 99 from the blind, but limp with it from UTG. UTG is where you could actually scare some people out.

When you can limit the field, or if there are only a few callers, I understand that raising is the correct play. But raising from the blinds doesn't limit the field, and raising 99 with several callers is going to win a miniscule amount of the time. I mean, how often does a pair of 9's win a big multi-way pot where several people will be seeing the river?

I'm not second-guessing Miller/Sklansky or the charts in SSH. We all know Miller knows what he's talking about. I just would like to understand the reasons. Playing aggressively when you don't actually know why you're raising is a good way to lose money.

flair1239
11-24-2004, 06:36 PM
You are 7.5-1 to hit your set. With 6 limpers, this is a raise for value. If you hit your set on the flop against 6 limpers, you are also going to get paid of big time.

The reason you don't raise UTG (as a standard play), is that you would rather invite more players in with the intention of hitting your set and getting paid off. Also I think you are more vulnerable to overcards.

As for TT, I will raise with it the majority of the time. However, I will limp from EP with it sometimes too.

droolie
11-24-2004, 06:41 PM
99 is a premium holding. I raise with it every time in an unraised pot and win with it 42.86% of the time. That is reason enough to raise this hand preflop.

Because 99 wins significantly more than it's share, even in a multiway pot it means you have an edge in pot equity over many of the limpers. You make more money off of each of them if you make them pay more to see the flop. You don't have to win the majority of the time to make this play profittable, just considerably more than your share.

Raise before they realize the flop will miss them. It's +EV.

Piiop
11-24-2004, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
99 with several callers is going to win a miniscule amount of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's your problem. It does win enough times to make a raise out of the blinds or after limpers profitable. I also raise it UTG.

Piiop
11-24-2004, 07:01 PM
There is no good reason to not raise TT.

BadBatsuMaru
11-24-2004, 07:04 PM
That seems really high. I win 30.4% of the time with 99. I guess that's not too bad.