PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider a PUSHABLE edge in a tourney?

spentrent
11-24-2004, 04:39 PM
57%? 60%? 70%?

Say we're an average stack at this point with 6 or 7 players left (maybe 20 BBs). We're also playing pretty tight pre-flop so we think we have some potential fold equity.

Zelcious
11-25-2004, 04:20 AM
I would say 70%

SmileyEH
11-25-2004, 07:11 AM
By edge do you mean EV after the money goes in?

If thats the case I would take 50% because you said we have folding equity.

I'm not really sure how this question is very useful though...

-SmileyEH

stupidsucker
11-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Depends on WHEN in the tourny it is. I need a huge edge early to push. Keep in mind that if you fold fold fold you will be faced with the same edge again later in a tourney with higher blinds to steal and more people out.

Early in a tourney, preflop I wont push or call all in without AA or KK, unless I am short stacked already.

Bigwig
11-25-2004, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
57%? 60%? 70%?

Say we're an average stack at this point with 6 or 7 players left (maybe 20 BBs). We're also playing pretty tight pre-flop so we think we have some potential fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

As stupidsucker said, it depends on the time of the tourney.

At the point you're talking about, where the average stack has 20BB, it's time to push your edges. In the case where I have about 20BB, I'll push over a raise if I think I have about a 55% edge on the range of hands. This is preflop, of course.

Early in the tourney, I want AA or KK if means my tourney life and I'm sitting on a stack of 50+BB. That's usually an edge of over 70%.

Once in the money, things change. I'll take negative edges at times given the right situation, because of $EV.

This topic very interesting to me and I've come to the conclusion that one could write 300 pages exploring the different scenarios.