PDA

View Full Version : downswings

sfwusc
11-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Does anyone else move down in limits when a downswing starts?

SFWUSC

prayformojo
11-24-2004, 01:50 PM
How big a swing? The only reasons I can see to move down are:

a) Your bankroll has been so decimated that you can't continue at your current level. It would take a significant reduction to convince me to move down for this reason.

b) Your play is being affected, either putting you on tilt or forcing you to play weak to protect what you still have. If you suffer from the former, moving down won't help you much: take a break. If the latter, moving down might be appropriate.

One word in your question worries me, though. You ask if people move down when a downswing "starts". How do you know when a downswing starts? Losing 50 hands in a row is painful, but it is not necessarily the start of a downswing. The cards have no memory. The fact that you have been losing makes it no more or less likely that you will lose the next hand. Your only concern should be the current effect of a downswing, not the future possibility of more bad cards.

sfwusc
11-24-2004, 02:01 PM
I usually play 3/6 ring and 1/2 max 6.

I play tight aggr on the 3/6. VPIP is around 18%. Aggr around 1.5 count the preflop.

1/2 VPIP is higher around 25-30% Aggr is higher.

This ofcourse makes suckouts and such expensive.

SFWUSC

cnfuzzd
11-24-2004, 02:06 PM
no. Thats why we have a bankroll. Assuming you are still playing good poker.

peace

john nickle

11-24-2004, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually play 3/6 ring and 1/2 max 6.

I play tight aggr on the 3/6. VPIP is around 18%. Aggr around 1.5 count the preflop.

1/2 VPIP is higher around 25-30% Aggr is higher.

This ofcourse makes suckouts and such expensive.

SFWUSC

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are moving down to avoid losing any more big bets, then you better get out of that habit fast, if you want to be successful in the game. Understand why they occur, and embrace them because of it.

TommyO
11-24-2004, 02:30 PM
I move down in limits when I get below 200BB.

bdk3clash
11-24-2004, 08:55 PM
I just had a -210BB-ish downswing playing a combination of 3/6, 5/10, and 5/10 6-max and didn't worry about moving down because I'm way overbankrolled for the limits I play. If I had the traditional 300 or even 500 BB bankroll I would have moved down and/or freaked out well before my downswing ended. As it was, I just kept playing.

As turnipmonster says, there are two types of poker players: those that have experienced statistically improbable downswings, and those that will.

ZeeBee
11-25-2004, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As turnipmonster says, there are two types of poker players: those that have experienced statistically improbable downswings, and those that will.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice.

Although given the ungodly number of hands most folks here play, not as statistically improbably as one might think.

ZB