PDA

View Full Version : AQ on the button against a raise

prrthd
11-24-2004, 11:20 AM
How is my pre-flop raise? When playing .50/1 I made this play quite often but since playing 1/2 I have really tightened up. This sure seemed like the place for a 3-bet since I was on the button and there were all folds to the CO. CO was a tight agressive-passive player.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, CO calls.

When he just called my 3-bet I didn't put him on any big pairs.

Flop: (7.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

I hit top pair top kicker standard bet.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Again standard bet.

River: (6.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

Ok this was not the river card I was looking for it not only completed a straight draw it also completed the flush draw. He sure was playing it like a draw so I sat there for awhile and hit the check button. To be honest I am still torn on this this hand so I figured I would post it.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

btspider
11-24-2004, 11:25 AM
PF is an easy raise. he will have lower raising standards here.

flop/turn are easy bets.

the river is a bit tough.. if you can safely fold to a raise, then its definitely worth betting. if you have to call the raise, then its a bit closer. i think i'd bet and fold to a raise.. not sure if its right though. since he called to this point, i'm more concerned about AK than the flush.

i'll guess he has AJ.

k000k
11-24-2004, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok this was not the river card I was looking for it not only completed a straight draw it also completed the flush draw. He sure was playing it like a draw so I sat there for awhile and hit the check button. To be honest I am still torn on this this hand so I figured I would post it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too worried about the flush, he's not raising a drawing hand late after everyone folds. AK is all I'm worried about, AA or KK shoulda raised you somewhere in there, and if he's TAG then he definately woulda..

Douglas Leslie
11-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Is this not one of those hands when your opponent is unlikely to stay in the hand unless he has you beat? What hands are you beating that he would call bets on all three rounds with?

prrthd
11-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Yes it is. That is what makes the river play tough.

Walrus
11-24-2004, 12:03 PM
I bet the river and call a raise. I'm not folding TPTK here, but you're probably beat if you get check raised. However, I think it's more likely you have the best hand. CO would raise many hands, first in, pre-flop.

prrthd
11-24-2004, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet the river and call a raise. I'm not folding TPTK here, but you're probably beat if you get check raised. However, I think it's more likely you have the best hand. CO would raise many hands, first in, pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it costs me 2 BB if I'm beat but I earn 0 (he folds to a bet) if I'm ahead? Doesn't seem like a good trade off.

btspider
11-24-2004, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So it costs me 2 BB if I'm beat but I earn 0 (he folds to a bet) if I'm ahead? Doesn't seem like a good trade off.

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ/KQ/KJ will call.

prrthd
11-24-2004, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ/KQ/KJ will call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

Douglas Leslie
11-24-2004, 12:42 PM
I have my doubts whether AJ or KJ would call this hand. The river card is just as scary for your opponent as it is for you if he has one of those hands. He has presumably been calling the flop and turn in the hope that you have AK and now even that hand beats him. There would be more argument for calling with KQ I suppose, although I do not know whether the pot odds justify it. Is it likely that he might be playing on the assumption that you might just have a low to medium pair and have been trying to represent something stronger? What is your table image? If he had one of the hands btspider mentions, would he not perhaps bet the river himself in the hope of scaring you into folding?

btspider
11-24-2004, 12:45 PM
villian is passive.. which is why i think he may call with those hands.. and not bet them.

if the villian were tricky or aggressive postflop, i'd be much more inclined to check behind. i do not want to put in 2 bets on this river. if I bet, its because I know I can fold to a raise.

flair1239
11-24-2004, 12:48 PM
I don't think it is a bad play, as obviously the Td is just about the last card that you want to see. However, depending how good your read (or PT info) is, if you have enough confidence that he is a passive post flop player it may have been worth a bet as the risk of getting CR would probably be low... and if he did you could probably safely fold.

However, then you get to the what would he call a bet with. I just think that if he is passive, he would have bet out if he hit his flush or straight draw. There is a possibility that he made a straight but did not bet because he is afraid of the flush. But here I think if I was confident that he was passive, I would bet.

realbad101
11-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Your play is fine. Good pre-flop 3 bet. Down to the river...

You will not get called more than 55% of the time by a hand you have beat. Good check through.

k000k
11-24-2004, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CO would raise many hands, first in, pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it... He only has to knock out 1 player (you) to get the button, then he's up against blinds, ie random garbage hands... He's correct to raise pretty much anything that has any worth whatsoever. I wouldn't be suprised to see JTo even some worse garbage. You 'tightened up', so he probably thinks you're an easy one to push out, are the blinds tight? He could even be trying to steal if you're all a buncha rocks.

prrthd
11-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO has Th Kh (one pair, tens).
Hero has As Qh (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 6.75 BB. </font>