PDA

View Full Version : 74o from the BB. Standard? Too aggressive? Too passive?

Grease
11-24-2004, 12:53 AM
This interesting hand came up, and I think that I play many like this without a second thought. This seems pretty standard, but I want to make sure I'm correct.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Turn: (1.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (4.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

Nick C
11-24-2004, 01:46 AM
I think the turn decision is difficult. SB may just be taking a stab at the pot, in which case it would be good to raise with our vulnerable hand. (I think we're ahead of UTG+1, who let the flop get checked through.) SB also could be thinking the turn is a blank, so his low pair (2's or 3's) is probably best. Or maybe he has a flush draw that he didn't bet on the flop. A raise in these instances would also be good.

He could, however, like the seven, in which case we're almost certainly losing, and I don't know how good the chances are that he'll fold his second pair to a raise if he has it, especially since the flop got checked through. There's some small chance he didn't bet top pair on the flop because he didn't like his kicker, and a small chance he has a strong hand and was going for a checkraise on the flop.

Okay, I've decided. I think our chances of being ahead are good enough for us to raise the turn, but we should fold to a 3-bet. If this gets rid of UTG+1 and SB just calls and then checks the river, I think we should check behind.

My second choice would be to fold to the flop bet.

Edit: Oops. I mean my second choice would be to fold to the turn bet.