PDA

View Full Version : Stud high: too aggressive or just right?

MBTIGUY
11-23-2004, 10:31 PM
2/4, .25 ante, 1.00 bring-in, table has been loose-passive.

I limp in right after the bring-in with J, 4, 6 3-flush. Nobody raises and there are four players to 4th street, one with an Ace.

On 4th, I catch a Jack. The Ace gets a four and checks, so I bet my Jacks. The Ace-four is the only caller and now it’s heads up. One Ace is dead.

On 5th, I make Jacks and 6s. The Ace-four gets a Queen (one is dead) making two overcards to my Jacks. Well, he didn’t bet the Ace on 3rd or 4th and if he doesn’t have Queens, I don’t want to give him a free chance to outdraw me. So I fire away and he calls. I was really hoping he’d fold to a big bet.

On 6th, his board is Ace, 4, Q, 9 rainbow. In case he has a low pair, I don’t want to give him a free chance to outdraw me with his overcards. So I fire away and he calls. I was really hoping he’d fold.

On the river, I thought about check-calling but fired away, anyway. He folds.
Comments?

Andy B
11-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Seems fine to me. Were your Sixes open, causing you to act first? Nice hand.

Chris Daddy Cool
11-23-2004, 10:48 PM
heads up with this guy showing no signs of resistance to you, i don't see why you wouldn't bet out on every stret.

grb137
11-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Based on your description of the table as "loose-passive," I'd say you played it right. Your decision also depends on your observations of that particular player -- had he called, and then folded on the end, in previous hands? Had he ever raised during heads up play before? Could he be so passive as to let you keep betting with the 2nd best hand? (I love doing this at lower levels against the ultra aggressive, particularly when I know raises won't send them anywhere).

Supposed he had raised you on the ace...or the queen - what would you have done?

MBTIGUY
11-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Yes, the 6s were open, so I acted first on 5th street and he called a paired door.

MBTIGUY
11-24-2004, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
had he called, and then folded on the end, in previous hands?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes

[ QUOTE ]
Had he ever raised during heads up play before?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes but infrequently which to me meant he raised only when he felt he had you beaten

[ QUOTE ]
Could he be so passive as to let you keep betting with the 2nd best hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
YES!!! Hence, the source of my trepidation but see above.

[ QUOTE ]
Supposed he had raised you on the ace...or the queen - what would you have done?

[/ QUOTE ]
If he raised the Ace on 3rd, I'd call looking to four-flush on 4th since there were already three other callers and my flush was very live. If he raises with the Queen on 5th, that's tough. It's re-raise or fold and I'd be inclined to fold:
1) Even if he doesn't have two pair, he has an overpair and an overcard
2) although I could bluff trips with a reraise (I paired my 6 in the door), I have to act first on 6th if neither of us improves. I'd rather be in position to get a free card by reraising and here I'm not.
3) again, he seemed to be someone who would only raise the Queens if he had two pair. If I'm right, I'm approx. a 4:1 dog (rough guess). If I'm wrong, it's a race situation. Given his passivity and my image that session (I was running real good), I'd lean strongly to his having two pair, therefore, I'd fold.
I welcome further comments.

grb137
11-24-2004, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he raised the Ace on 3rd, I'd call looking to four-flush on 4th since there were already three other callers and my flush was very live.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you said this was heads up. I would NOT chase a 4-flush heads up.

[ QUOTE ]

although I could bluff trips with a reraise (I paired my 6 in the door), I have to act first on 6th if neither of us improves. I'd rather be in position to get a free card by reraising and here I'm not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, but you cant pretty much count on calls all the way to the end. This is 2/4 we're talkin about.

MBTIGUY
11-24-2004, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought you said this was heads up. I would NOT chase a 4-flush heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Ace was on 3rd street and in responding to your question I assumed a raise and 2 callers on that street.
I would not play a flush heads-up.