PDA

View Full Version : What a Night! Need Help w/Loose-Aggro Table

MrHorace
11-23-2004, 10:16 PM
It was a wild & crazy session at Party last night. I only have about 1100 hands under my belt, but the tables I've played of late have been fairly tight, somewhat passive, and ones I could bully through with less than optimum hands. (Note that I don't play these type of hands often at all (VP$IP=21.1), but you get the point.)
Anyhow played this table last night where several were playing everything, calling raises & reraises with squat, and staying to the river.

Would like recommendations as to how to play these types of tables, particularly a hand like this.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) Converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (16 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (17 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

Grease
11-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Assuming UTG+1 was fairly aggressive, I'd play it the same way. If he were really loose, I'd probably just call the turn after his stop-and-go.

ig0r
11-23-2004, 10:23 PM
The stop and go looks like 2 pair, J7 and K7 seem very possible. Personally I'd call down after he bets the turn, but raising is probably just as correct considering the messy board.

Shillx
11-23-2004, 10:23 PM
This might be a good spot to just call the flop bet and go for a raise on the turn. I like to punish agressive players (like when I'm at the 2+2 table) for big bets with good but not great hands because they will overplay their 2nd best hands on the turn if you just call on the flop.

That being said, I think you played this hand fine. UTG+1 stop and go poses somewhat of a problem. A lot of players have done this with a flopped 2-pair recently.

Shill

ig0r
11-23-2004, 10:28 PM
I actually think that this isn't a very good application of that line; the whole point of waiting to raise on the turn is to protect in a very large pot (which we have here). The flop raise here would not protect against gutshots, however, there are no draws on the flop. In this case, there is no need to protect in the same way, you're better off just raising for value. If you had a 2 cards connected on the flop, then I would go with shill's line.

Edit: crap my mistake, I'm stupid. Yes, I'm going to advocate this line, you must wait for the turn to make a raise effective in protecting from 9T,etc.

Nick C
11-23-2004, 11:47 PM
I think waiting until the turn to raise is a good line here, but I doubt it'll improve Hero's chances of winning the hand very much. At this table, it sounds like gutshots are going to call two cold. (Plus, the players in between UTG+1 and Hero won't even have to, unless UTG+1 3-bets.)

But if the flop bettor will check to Hero on the turn after being raised on the flop but will bet again on the turn if just called on the flop, then waiting for the turn does make more money those times Hero's hand is best and it holds up.

MrHorace
11-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Villain had Ks2s. So he missed his draw, but caught the two-pair on the river. I guess his play wasn't bad at all. He had lots of outs, and caught one of them.
One question I'd asked if raising on the flop actually gave him better pot odds to make it correct for him to stay &amp; play.
Honestly I think I was the one who didn't play the best. Not bad, but could've saved a few BB, and should've been more aware of the flush draw.
Learning is everything!