PDA

View Full Version : Gutshot London (Tourney Report)

partygirluk
11-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Played my first BnM tournament tournament in the Gutshot Cardroom, London. It was a £5 + rebuys NL Hold'em event.

The venue is a downstairs room with a nice bar above. Conditions are a tad cramped, but the staff and general atmosphere is extremely friendly.

The overall standard at this event is BAD. Stacks are T500 with blinds at 25/25 (increasing every 20 mins) so there is not too much room for deep play. Furthermore, you can not rebuy unless you are 250 or under, which is a shame. Guys were pushing in preflop with anything. One guy fancied 53o, which was a smart move as he trebled up with trip 5s. He also enjoyed T9o which twice hit straights and he was soon sitting with 7K. Good player at my table had caught some cards and was sitting with 10K. Just to show you how bad the play is, here is a hand.

Blinds are 25/50

UTG limps, 3 folds, Good player (10K) limps, Donator (7K) limps, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop is Q33 (250 pot)

BB bets 50, UTG pushes (450), Good player pushes (10K), Donator Calls (7K)

UTG has Q9...........OK
Good player has A3s.........makes sense
Donator has A2!!!!!!

The final hand of the rebuy period was announced. I had played 0 hands all evening. Totally card dead. Got to see one hand from the BB, which I duly check/folded.

After posting the BB I am down to T325. I pick up 54diamonds, my best hand all evening.

Blinds are 50/100

UTG (2K) raises to 400, Donator (700) calls, Icantfoldahandguy (800) calls, I call.

My thinking is that if I win, then great, and if I lose, then I can rebuy/addon to the full 1K. If I just fold, then I can only add on to 825, with blinds at 50/100. So I could either guarantee 825 (for £5) with a fold, or have a x percent chance of 1850 (for £5) and 1000 (for £ 10) the remainder. What do I need x to be for this to be a smart move.

Flop comes down JJ9 rainbow. UTG pushes, called twice. Oh dear, I must be drawing dead now.

UTG shows AQ, Donator shows 76o, Icantfoldahandguy shows K7!!!!!!!
The turn is the 4 of hearts and I am ahead!. The river is the 2 of hearts and Icantfoldahandguy wins with his backdoor flush!

I reload to 1K. I am UTG +1. UTG is Icantfoldahandguy, who now has a huge stack. He raises to 300 I push with AKo, guy I have covered calls, Icantfoldahandguy goes into the tank. He finally folds KQs face up. He says "you haven't played a hand all evening, so I folded". Wow! He folded! Guy I have covered doubles me up when I crack his 88 and I now have a decent stack.

My image is ROCK solid as the blinds are 100/200. I am SB and BB only has 175 left after posting. Four people limp. There is 1100 in the pot. BB is pot committed with any two. I want to isolate, so I raise 1000 extra (my stack is 4K). Oh, I have 83o by the way. The plan is, I get heads up with the BB. This costs me 275 to win 1375 which is a clear bargain. Furthermore, it will loosen up my image. A masterstroke, if I say so myself! They all fold, including the Big Blind! I show my 83o. Not sure if this is smart, probably not, but it felt good!

Our table gets broken up, and I find myself with 6K, blinds are 250/500. I steal raise to 1500 from the button with K3o, BB pushes all in for a raise of about 2000 more. I have to call 2000 to win 5750, but figure I am likely dominated, and fold. I hate my steal. K3o is about the worst hand to do it with. 76s is much better. Furthermore, I should have just pushed with any hand I was going to enter the pot with. Oh well, live and learn.

I spent the next 45 minutes folding, by which time I find myself down to 3.3K, after posting the 700 Big blind. I am now at a new table and Icantfoldahandguy (3K) limps in UTG which means he has some junk. All fold to me with K4o. I check.

Flop is 432 twotone. Pot is 1750.

I push. He deliberates for a minute or so, and calls. QTo!!!!!!!!! What a joke!!!! Unfortunately the last laugh is on him as he turns a Q to leave me with just 1K.

I pick up some trash in the SB, so fold. There are ~25 left, and top 18 pay. I pick up AKo UTG+1. UTG pushes all in for 7K. I call. Button (12k) deliberates for 2 minutes. The decision is clearly hard for him. He calls.

UTG shows QJs
I have AKo
Button has JTo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

runners are QJ and I am toast.

The overlay at this tournament is spectacular. The general standard is shocking, really really really, Partypoker5+1slooklikeasharktank awful.

I think my trips to the Gutshot are going to prove very profitable.

p.s. after the donators busted they started a NL cash game. I was too tired to play, but I think it would be VERY profitable to anyone with a clue.

Munkster
01-15-2005, 09:15 AM
Hey PartyGirl, I just moved to London for a short work term here and I am planning to make a regular trips to gutshot. Leave a post here if you still go there.

thanks.

dtbog
01-15-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I have 83o by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done, my man! Don't knock the 83o. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

(see avatar.)
-DB

dtbog
01-15-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Played my first BnM tournament tournament in the Gutshot Cardroom, London. It was a £5 + rebuys NL Hold'em event.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the vig on a £5 tournament? £1? 0.50?
-DB

johnnymac
01-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Sounds like a Tuesday night, yes?

These are specifically billed as beginners nights, and whilst not pretending to be an accomplished player myself, I can verify that they are indeed full of awful players. Lots of young players, getting drunk, going all in with anything, constant rebuys (when they have borrowed some money off a mate at another table), calling to the showdown with an A6o and no pair made.

Have played in 3 of these tourneys and finished about a 1/3 of the way down the field each time, having got NO decent cards. I would say that out of the average field of 110 players, there are no more than a dozen who are much good. Seems anyone who has any skill at cards avoids this for the cramped conditions and random play.