PDA

View Full Version : PC War Game Recommendations

Drac
11-23-2004, 05:06 PM
I'm looking to pick up a new war game for the PC to give me some non poker related fun time. I have DOD and MOHAA (I prefer DOD) and don't really think another FPS is necessary at this time unless it has some real kick ass multi player features. I really like the Close Combat series. I prefer turn based to the RTS stuff like Warcraft but haven't purchased any RTS's for a couple years. If they've gotten away from the horde resources, build a million units and flatten the enemy style (I was usually getting flattened) and have more strategy I'd like to hear about them. Basically, any good recommendations for a solid war game would be much appreciated.

2planka
11-23-2004, 05:15 PM
I used to play a game called Blitzkrieg. WWII scenario game in the Age of Empires UI mode. No resource gathering, just plan-implement-react. Was a bit too easy, but fun to watch the body count.

AngryCola
11-23-2004, 05:16 PM
I've heard "Rome: Total War" is pretty damn good.

Drac
11-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Yeah, guess I should have said I'd prefer a challenge to a cake walk. I play DOD when I want to keep it simple. I spend so much time there waiting to respawn that it's really a pretty easy game for me. I've read a bit about Blitz and it does sound kinda easy.

whiskeytown
11-23-2004, 05:29 PM
innerestin question, Drac....not used to seeing wargame questions on here.

Have you tried the Hearts of Iron series by Strategy first? - It's more strategic than tactical, but it's a ton of fun, and some mod's developed by the online community have almost made it the "Third Reich" of Computer gaming.

RB

Drac
11-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I was one of the geeks waiting for HOI to be released, and waiting, and waiting some more. Then...waiting for patches to make it playable. Love the idea, game was no better than OK. I see that HOI 2 is due out in early Jan...maybe it will be patched up to speed by my birthday (late October).
I haven't played it in quite a while now. Have the most recent patches helped much?

BusterStacks
11-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Rome: Total War is the end-all as for as current games. Get it.

nef
11-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Ghost Recon is an excellent war game.
Its not really your typical run-n-gun first person shooter. It has aspects of a first person shooter, but you also command a squad of soldiers through many missions. A lot of fun. Decent graphics, but it is a bit dated. The upside of that is that it is probably really cheap. The single player campaigns are great, and it also has good multiplayer.

ThaSaltCracka
11-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam

AngryCola
11-23-2004, 05:50 PM
He's not looking for first person shooters, or I would agree with you. I was never a fan of those games, but for people that like that genre, I've heard they are the best.

Drac
11-23-2004, 05:53 PM
So these are both FPS's? If so, what makes them better than the others out there?

Lumpy
11-23-2004, 05:55 PM
http://www.hpssims.com

http://www.matrixgames.com

Steel Panthers: World At War is a free download from Matrix. It is a great game.

ThaSaltCracka
11-23-2004, 05:56 PM
they are just fun man, easy to learn, lots of vehicles, fun online play. I didn't realize you don't like FPS, so forget what I said.

AngryCola
11-23-2004, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So these are both FPS's? If so, what makes them better than the others out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say they are the best FPS games out there. They are the best war style FPS games, however /images/graemlins/spade.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-23-2004, 06:02 PM
probably the funnest though. I played the demo like 2 years ago when it came out for 100's of hours, and that was only on one map! Really fun game though.

BusterStacks
11-23-2004, 06:05 PM
BF1942 is more action than strategy. When I think of a war game, this is not what I think about. It's like a war-themed FPS.

wacki
11-23-2004, 06:05 PM
The new counterstrike. I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet.

scrub
11-23-2004, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer turn based to the RTS stuff like Warcraft but haven't purchased any RTS's for a couple years. If they've gotten away from the horde resources, build a million units and flatten the enemy style (I was usually getting flattened) and have more strategy I'd like to hear about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Warcraft III is much more strategy-based than Warcraft II.

Most of my friends who were high ranked ladder players have gotten addicted to a mod called DOTA all-stars, though.

scrub

Drac
11-23-2004, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they are just fun man, easy to learn, lots of vehicles, fun online play. I didn't realize you don't like FPS, so forget what I said.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that I don't like them, it's that I have DOD and think it's a pretty good game. If there's an FPS out there that has different/better feature I'd like to know about it and why you think it's better. I found that all the RTS games started to blur together after a while and don't want to waste money/time on a FPS unless it comes highly recommended.

AngryCola
11-23-2004, 06:11 PM
I'm an old Counter-Strike vet. I will always love that game. I started with it during beta v2.

They still had the ghosts back then, and that was a lot of fun. For those that don't know, when you die in CS you used to automatically go into a floating spectator mode (default is watching behind someone now). Back in the earlier betas of CS, you used to be able to interact with certain things while you were dead. We called this being a "ghost".

Basically, all you could do was open doors, and shine a flashlight from beyond. Still, it would freak people out if they were guarding a door and it just kept opening by itself. Or, they would keep trying to figure out where that damn light was coming from. Those were the days!

Unforunately, CS is a FPS as well. I think drac was looking for more of a turn based or RTS wargame.

Rome: Total War still tops my list for current strategy wargames. It may be real-time, but I've heard nothing but great things about it. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

AngryCola
11-23-2004, 06:16 PM
War3 was a big disappointment for me. I have followed the Blizzard games since the first Warcraft, and I think WAR2 was a better effort. It might not be a better game, but it was a better game for it's time than War3 was.

Starcraft is still the pinnacle of Blizzard RTS games, IMHO.

BusterStacks
11-23-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Warcraft III is much more strategy-based than Warcraft II.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't really think this, do you? This is exactly why I didn't really like WC3, there's a right way and a wrong way, thus kind of defeating the strategy. I dunno, just my opinion. Anyway, although some FPS games are fun, I think if you like RTS games, you can't lose with Rome: Total War. I played it at work a lot, it's awesome.

AngryCola
11-23-2004, 06:21 PM
"Rise of Nations" is a good turn based/real-time strategy game. Very unique. You should be able to pick it up cheaply. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

astroglide
11-23-2004, 06:22 PM
warcraft 3 is 98% micromanagement, 1% macromanagement, and 1% strategy

Drac
11-23-2004, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm an old Counter-Strike vet. I will always love that game. I started with it during beta v2.

They still had the ghosts back then, and that was a lot of fun. For those that don't know, when you die in CS you used to automatically go into a floating spectator mode (default is watching behind someone now). Back in the earlier betas of CS, you used to be able to interact with certain things while you were dead. We called this being a "ghost".

Basically, all you could do was open doors, and shine a flashlight from beyond. Still, it would freak people out if they were guarding a door and it just kept opening by itself. Or, they would keep trying to figure out where that damn light was coming from. Those were the days!

Unforunately, CS is a FPS as well. I think drac was looking for more of a turn based or RTS wargame.

Rome: Total War still tops my list for current strategy wargames. It may be real-time, but I've heard nothing but great things about it. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My teenage cousins play CS every free minute of their lives. They love it. It seemed similar to me to DOD and I prefer the WWII theme so I didn't see a reason to play CS. I see they are coming out with a Source version of CS now. Plus, when I've watched my cousins play CS it's VERY clear i'd get my sorry ass handed to me all the time. At least in DOD I can hold my own.

Sounds like Rome:Total War may have to go on the Xmas list.

Drac
11-23-2004, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Rise of Nations" is a good turn based/real-time strategy game. Very unique. You should be able to pick it up cheaply. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually have that one. It was my last RTS purchsase. It was cool for a while but I just couldn't keep an interest in it. It was much better than any of my previous RTS experiences except for Warcraft which was so much fun to play because it was so different from the competition at the time. I loved it when the guys would yell at you for clicking on them too much. Good times, good times!

Drac
11-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Micro as in gather and build units/buildings? Is it still basically a race to get the most stuff and steam roller your opponent?

PhatTBoll
11-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Can any of the Rome: Total War fans elaborate on what makes it so good?

mikeyp
11-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Try out a game called Cossacks. Plays similar to Age of Empires, but IMHO way better.

astroglide
massing units and attack-moving would fall under macromanagement. micromanagement is individual control of units. casting spells with heroes, retreating injured units individually, focusing fire on wounded units, etc. losing 1 or 2 units in the early game will often result in a loss than will take 20 minutes to realize.

BrettK
I have to second the Battlefield nominations. I don't have much experience with FPSs, but the first one was clearly the most balanced, fun game I've ever played and I'd be playing Vietnam right now were it not for my sucky connection.

As far as RTSs go, AoE2:Conquerors remains my favorite game for the same basic reasons. It's balanced and amazingly fun.

Brett

scrub
11-23-2004, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
massing units and attack-moving would fall under macromanagement. micromanagement is individual control of units. casting spells with heroes, retreating injured units individually, focusing fire on wounded units, etc. losing 1 or 2 units in the early game will often result in a loss than will take 20 minutes to realize.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree.

I was using "strategy" very broadly to mean "things other than amassing resources and attacking with overwhelming force."

scrub

MercTec
11-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Maximum PC actually gave it a perfect 10 score. I havent seen that thrown around very often...especially not for software. Im not a fan of the genre, but hard to argue with the overwhelming majority.

ThaSaltCracka
11-23-2004, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BF1942 is more action than strategy. When I think of a war game, this is not what I think about. It's like a war-themed FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]duh!

holeplug
11-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Blizzard kinda ruined Warcraft 3 by eliminating alot of the skill gap that was there before in War2 and Starcraft. So if you suck at RTS games its easier to play and not get creamed right away by better players. Having said that, its still a very good game.

wayabvpar
11-23-2004, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can any of the Rome: Total War fans elaborate on what makes it so good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I HATE HATE HATE RTS as a genre, but found Rome: Total War to be a total blast. The battles (at least early on, which is as far as I have played) aren't too big as to get out of hand when things happend offscreen. All the unit production, city management, movement on the map, etc is done turn-based; only the battles are real time (pausable, of course). There is also a quick battle option that resolves the battle in seconds; useful if you plan to flee, or if one side or the other is at a dramatic disadvantage.

whiskeytown
11-23-2004, 07:45 PM
a little, but the MODS are what really put it over the top.

C.O.R.E. is an incredible mod that adds a ton of events and better balance to the game - I use that a lot...

HOI2 looks cool as well, but in the meantime, go here...

http://hoi.coremod.org/

it's awesome that way...

RB

RB

A_C_Slater
11-23-2004, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
innerestin question, Drac....not used to seeing wargame questions on here.

Have you tried the Hearts of Iron series by Strategy first? - It's more strategic than tactical, but it's a ton of fun, and some mod's developed by the online community have almost made it the "Third Reich" of Computer gaming.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Hearts of Iron is one of the most entertaining games ever made if you're into WW2 history and Grand strategic military strategy. Better than the Total War games. My only complaint is that the game has to end in 1948 just when I've managed to conquer all of Asia and Europe and have 20 nukes at my disposal. Now that's a great feeling. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CardCuda
11-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Rome - Total War - (Awesome game)

Also December 10th - Battle for Middle Earth (If your into Lord of the Rings - Looks to be great game - you can check out the specs and a movie clip at gamespy or Nivdia.

PhatTBoll
11-23-2004, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I HATE HATE HATE RTS as a genre,

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I, which is pretty much why I asked the question. Thanks for the input. I am a huge fan of Civ type games, so you might guess that I'm a micromanagement fiend; the Warcraft type games just don't give me enough time to do everything I want to do. Good to hear that Rome isn't completely realtime.

Basically, I'm looking to pick up a PC game soon, and I've narrowed the choice down to Pirates and Rome. Hmmm...

astroglide
11-23-2004, 08:26 PM
i'd totally disagree with that statement as well. worse players have almost no chance in war3.

bukkrukk
11-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Combat Mission is sweet. WW2 turn-based combat.

Battlefront (http://www.battlefront.com/index.htm)

holeplug
11-24-2004, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My teenage cousins play CS every free minute of their lives. They love it. It seemed similar to me to DOD and I prefer the WWII theme so I didn't see a reason to play CS. I see they are coming out with a Source version of CS now. Plus, when I've watched my cousins play CS it's VERY clear i'd get my sorry ass handed to me all the time. At least in DOD I can hold my own.

Sounds like Rome:Total War may have to go on the Xmas list.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are updating DOD with the source engine as well. I'm sure you know this already but just an FYI if you didn't.

Blarg
11-24-2004, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
War3 was a big disappointment for me. I have followed the Blizzard games since the first Warcraft, and I think WAR2 was a better effort. It might not be a better game, but it was a better game for it's time than War3 was.

Starcraft is still the pinnacle of Blizzard RTS games, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked Warcraft II better than WC3 or Starcraft. And I liked Age of Empires II better than both of those too. My favorite was Total Annihilation, though. The game engine was spectacular and way ahead of its time, and you could do incredible things with the units.

The once and future king
11-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Those that know WW2 war gaming will recommend Combat Mission.

This utilises a brilliant wego system. Both commanders input there orders. The computer then works out the results of these orders and plays them out in a kind of video format for 1 minute. For this minute your troops and vehicles react relaisticaly to threats and casualties etc.

You can pan the camera to any troops or vehicle and watch the action from there perspective.

This game is very accesible but is 100% tactics it is perhaps the only war game where knowledge of real world combined arms tactics will give you an edge, how many games will teach you the art of the reverse slope defence?

There is no recourse management. All vehicles and units are modeled realisticaly and it has a massive and totaly comitted community that churns out hundreds of new scenarios a month.

Drac
11-24-2004, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Those that know WW2 war gaming will recommend Combat Mission.

This utilises a brilliant wego system. Both commanders input there orders. The computer then works out the results of these orders and plays them out in a kind of video format for 1 minute. For this minute your troops and vehicles react relaisticaly to threats and casualties etc.

You can pan the camera to any troops or vehicle and watch the action from there perspective.

This game is very accesible but is 100% tactics it is perhaps the only war game where knowledge of real world combined arms tactics will give you an edge, how many games will teach you the art of the reverse slope defence?

There is no recourse management. All vehicles and units are modeled realisticaly and it has a massive and totaly comitted community that churns out hundreds of new scenarios a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately it seems they only sell this through their web site. I've read some good things about these games but poker has supplied me with all my free time gaming for quite a while now. Can you play vs. other person online?

The once and future king
11-25-2004, 09:22 AM
You can play over the internet and via email.

I bought mine in a shop in the UK. There last game was released some time ago so maybe isnt available in stores atr present though Im sure you could pick it up on amazon.

Chobohoya
11-25-2004, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I'm looking to pick up a PC game soon, and I've narrowed the choice down to Pirates and Rome. Hmmm...

[/ QUOTE ] If it's close, I would go with Rome: TW. The turn based portion of the game is really fun. If I don't enjoy it as much as the battles, well that's cause the battles are just SICK. There's something about watching Gauls fly in every direction when I chargethem with my armored elephant cavalry, or watching my legions mow through the enemy's infantry like wheat. Or watching that last man alive in their army get run down and mauled by wardogs. The game is just incredible, and I highly recommend you at least try it.