PDA

View Full Version : How many poker pros can net over $150k per annum?

PokerPaul
11-23-2004, 04:55 PM
strictly based on poker play, ie not endorsemtns etc.

Would there be more than a thousand?

Tyler Durden
11-23-2004, 05:04 PM
The answer is three.

PokerPaul
11-23-2004, 05:14 PM
if thats true.......2 of them are in my neighbourhoud, so who's the third..

drewjustdrew
11-23-2004, 05:23 PM
I don't think Tyler considered canadian dollars. In that case, there would be many more.

namknils
11-23-2004, 05:24 PM
I think the point is, who the heck knows for sure?

I'll say 12,462 so you dont ask me to name them. It's all guesses though, and nobody is really in a position to give an accurate guess.

MarkD
11-23-2004, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Tyler considered canadian dollars. In that case, there would be many more.

[/ QUOTE ]

The canadian dollar joke isn't as funny anymore. The american dollar is slipping in value significantly and therefor the canadian dollar is rising in value. Some of us canadians are not that happy about this phenomenom.

BK_
11-23-2004, 07:36 PM
maybe a couple hundred people on this forum? including a copule in this thread

ThaSaltCracka
11-23-2004, 07:41 PM
ask GoT, he is pretty close to that total.

MicroBob
11-23-2004, 08:10 PM
The answer is 42.

Sincerely,
Douglas Adams

James282
11-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Over a thousand.
-James

Gramps
11-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Does that mean the question was "what is 9 times 6"?

Tyler Durden
11-23-2004, 09:08 PM
What's a nieghbourhoud?

Sponger15SB
11-23-2004, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does that mean the question was "what is 9 times 6"?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because then I would have laughed at MicroBob's inability to do easy multiplication.

Michael Emery
11-23-2004, 09:31 PM
I have a jar of jellybeans in my house. Who on this board can tell me how many jellybeans are in my jar?

Mike Emery

MicroBob
11-23-2004, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, because then I would have laughed at MicroBob's inability to do easy multiplication.

[/ QUOTE ]

Laugh away because I have been known to make the most ridiculous of math errors in my time.
Often it involves a weirdly inappropriate tip when paying for my drinks/dinner with a credit-card.

Had dinner (and bottle of wine) with the GF in New Orleans at a nice restaurant.
Bill was $95.
Waitress had to bring the CC-slip back and inform me that $95 + $20 does not equal $105.

Michael Davis
11-23-2004, 10:20 PM
There are lots of people here who could earn that much if they put in the hours multitabling.

-Michael

Rushmore
11-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Somewhere, I am not sure where, David made a claim to a number of pro's successful enough to make $x.

I can not remember much (I'm not real bright), but I DO recall the number was not very high.

Of course, this was several years ago, and with the briny aroma wafting from every card room and online site these days, I would have to imagine the number is higher now than it was then.

Whatever the damned number was, and for whatever amount was qualified.

This has been a useless post.

I am going to hit submit anyway. No, really, I AM. You just watch...

bugstud
11-23-2004, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Somewhere, I am not sure where, David made a claim to a number of pro's successful enough to make $x.

I can not remember much (I'm not real bright), but I DO recall the number was not very high.

Of course, this was several years ago, and with the briny aroma wafting from every card room and online site these days, I would have to imagine the number is higher now than it was then.

Whatever the damned number was, and for whatever amount was qualified.

This has been a useless post.

I am going to hit submit anyway. No, really, I AM. You just watch...

[/ QUOTE ]

Misclick

CptMisery
11-23-2004, 11:02 PM
What do we win if we guess the number of jelly beans?

Losing all
11-24-2004, 12:00 AM
112. I know it looks like more but 112, trust me.

Michael Emery
11-24-2004, 05:39 AM
I dont recall which Poker Essays Volume this was in and I'm too lazy to look right now. But I do remember something being said about Mason or Zee knowing some of the best $75-$150 professionals who avg. approx. 150K per year. So its strange that you threw out that figure. Nowadays though I know plenty of people who could simply do this playing 15-30 or so online multi-tabling.

Mike Emery

By the way. For those of you who were asking what you get if you guess the correct amount of jelly beans in my jar, you get one night of pleasure with Shana Hiatt (party's model) /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Shes already agreed to this.

Luv2DriveTT
11-24-2004, 08:53 AM
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsieroll lollypop?

Lets find out....

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Paluka
11-24-2004, 01:40 PM
I don't remember the exact numbers in Sklansky's post either, but the numbers were absurdly low. I would be stunned if there weren't 100 players on partypoker who would make $150k a year if they played full time.

Martin Aigner
11-24-2004, 02:52 PM
loved that book

Phat Mack
11-24-2004, 04:35 PM
What if 6 turned out to be 9?

MicroBob
11-24-2004, 04:37 PM
For the successful, full-time, multi-tabling 15/30 guys it shouldn't be that out of reach.

$150k/yr = $3k/wk
That's $600/day if you play 5 days a week.

$600 is 20BB at 15/30.

If you earn 1BB/hr per table (or about 1.6BB/100 or so) then that's just 20 table-hours per day.....OR 5 hours of 4-tables.

If you're an 8-tabler earning less than 1.6BB/100 (maybe 1.2BB/100 or 0.75BB/hr perhaps) you can probably do it playing 3-hours a day for 5 days a week. You'll be making 0.75BB/hr on 8 tables for a total of 6BB/hr = $180/hr.
So it will actually have to be closer to 3.5 hours to earn your $600/day.

This, of course, assumes you have the necessary bankroll to sustain the swings and you really are winning 1BB/100 or more at 15/30.

Porcupine
11-24-2004, 10:19 PM
I don't have to read through it right now (not my work), but
this looks like good start for the jellybean problem (http://www.thewolfweb.com/photo_photo.aspx?user=14623&photo=273167&filter=)

Michael Emery
11-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Porcupine,

You'd be taking the easy way out using that simple formula to solve the jellybean problem.
/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Mike Emery

47outs
11-25-2004, 11:58 AM
With multi-tabling, PT, rake rebates, propping and whatever else I'm missing $150k is relatively easy to do.

Actually the hardest part is not getting burnt out. Putting in the time has proven difficult for even the best.

The actual extracting money from the poker table is the easy part!

outs

Rushmore
11-25-2004, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually the hardest part is not getting burnt out. Putting in the time has proven difficult for even the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suggestion: Before going pro, take a job digging ditches or tarring the roads or managing a sales office or being an administrative assistant or working at Kash N Karry or being a babysitter or being an associate professor of philosophy or being a pool cleaner eight to ten hours a day, then work that job for, oh, say six years.

Then tell somebody about burning out at the poker table.

"I feel like I'm burning out on my job."

Scenario 1 reaction: "Sir, I realize we're busy, but may I have a (day/week/month) off so that I can regain my humanity?"

Scenario 2 reaction: "Man, I love the beach."

MicroBob
11-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Good post.

I too have had some burn-out issues and 'getting motivated' issues when it comes to playing online.

But I'm making significantly more money with significantly less effort playing poker online than any other job I've ever had before and that's typically motivation enough....and I'm not even close to the $150k/yr level (yet).

I just have to think back on some of my previous jobs...or just give my GF a call (whom I now have the flexibility to see whenever she's available since my schedule is of my choosing). She's a nurse at a hospital and her 12-hour shift of 7a-7p are really more like 6:45a-7:45p more often than not and she is COMPLETELY exhausted (not to mention that she's dealing with all kinds of icky stuff like blood, puke, IV's, etc etc).

Then I think about some of the jobs I had through college (summers...and through the school-year) and even post-college (when I was struggling a bit)....and it was pretty darned hard.

Even the jobs in my own 'field' which I really enjoyed (through college and post-college) were quite the grind (and didn't pay a whole bunch).

Lets fact it....a lot of office-type jobs are more like 50-60 hours a week, not 40. And if you have an idiot/rude boss/supervisor it can be pretty dismal.

Obviously there are 'good' jobs out there too that pay decently and are in pleasant/enjoyable work environments...but there are a WHOLE BUNCH of jobs out there that are just not that great.

And pushing yourself to play a few more hours of online-poker while watching the game on TV (or some Clint Eastwood movie or something) really seems to pale comparitively.

Especially when you consider the 'make your own hours' aspect.....work a couple hours, go out and goof-off, comeback and home and work a couple more hours.

I really have no complaints about doing this full-time.
We'll see if my tune changes in 12-24 months if the games deteriorate or I REALLY get burnt out or if I happen to hit a horrendous losing slide.

byronkincaid
11-26-2004, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Suggestion: Before going pro, take a job digging ditches or tarring the roads or managing a sales office or being an administrative assistant or working at Kash N Karry or being a babysitter or being an associate professor of philosophy or being a pool cleaner eight to ten hours a day, then work that job for, oh, say six years.

Then tell somebody about burning out at the poker table.

"I feel like I'm burning out on my job."

Scenario 1 reaction: "Sir, I realize we're busy, but may I have a (day/week/month) off so that I can regain my humanity?"

Scenario 2 reaction: "Man, I love the beach."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to print that off and stick it up on my wall.

The Dude
11-26-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm sure there are more than a thousand, but if there's more than 20 who post regularly on this forum I'd be surprised.

BK_
11-26-2004, 10:48 PM
20 people on this forum that can make over 150k from poker in a year? you are insane sir!

Sponger15SB
11-27-2004, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
20 people on this forum that can make over 150k from poker in a year? you are insane sir!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there is a big difference between *can* make and actually do.

40 hours a week x 45 weeks a year, you'd need to make $85 an hour playing online poker. If you playing 8-12 tables, you could do that easy even at the lower limits.

There aren't many people that want to do that though.

tom
11-30-2004, 04:47 PM
I would like to find the answer to "do make $ 150,000" per annum.

I would think everyone "wants" to make that much, few "can" (have the ability to) make that much, and very very few actually "do" make that much.

But I guess like salaries, we will never know what people really make.

sirio11
12-04-2004, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the answers to this poll suggest more then 20 in this forum

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1286007&page=0&view=f lat&sb=5&o=14&vc=1

Sundevils21
12-04-2004, 11:27 AM
when I'm getting burned out from playing 1000 or so hands/day, I think back to working 50hrs/week in construction(hanging air conditioning ductwork to be exact). Not that there's anything wrong with that, I knew a bunch of guys who loved to go to work. Motivation for me is fear of going back.

BaronVonCP
12-04-2004, 11:45 AM
There are plenty enough that do. I have no doubts.