PDA

View Full Version : Frustration!!!

skoal2k4
11-23-2004, 04:21 PM
I try to play a decent game of poker but run into nothing but maniacs. I'm playing low limits .5/$1 Fixed because I know I'm not that great yet. It seems like these tables are full of people that will play every hand. How do I combat this? Can't really expect to put someone on 8,4 or Q,2 when they call they bet pre-flop. Anybody else experience this type of play from other people?

sfer
11-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Obviously the sticky is working.

AviD
11-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Haha, yeah damn Sticky is annoying me...constantly have to scroll past that damn thing to get to the new posts. Who reads them anyway right?!?! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

skoal2k4
11-23-2004, 04:33 PM
sticky?

chson
11-23-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I try to play a decent game of poker but run into nothing but maniacs. I'm playing low limits .5/$1 Fixed because I know I'm not that great yet. It seems like these tables are full of people that will play every hand. How do I combat this? Can't really expect to put someone on 8,4 or Q,2 when they call they bet pre-flop. Anybody else experience this type of play from other people?

[/ QUOTE ]

I recommend jumping up to 5/10 where your raises will get more respect.

skoal2k4
11-23-2004, 04:36 PM
I guess If i'm gonna give my money away, might as well be to better players? lol

I don't think I'm ready for that limit... that's why I play where I play

jordanx
11-23-2004, 04:40 PM
.50/1.00 is Microlimits and this should be posted in the micro-limit forum.

Read the very first post in this forum. It has a thumb tack icon.

Read Small Stakes Hold 'em where Ed Miller talks about your problem in the first quarter of the book.

You are being met with contempt and apathy here because of these things.

BigBaitsim (milo)
11-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Now, read Bison's sticky and all will become clear to you.

skoal2k4
11-23-2004, 04:58 PM
read it... am now playing 1/2 ... same issue .. advice?

theghost
11-23-2004, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
When you read it, did you notice that 1/2 also posts in micro? 2/4 and up for the small stakes forum.

Seriously, there is a reason to start with the micro forum, you will learn a lot. One of the things you will learn is to appreciate bad players who play too many hands too far. This is the easiest type of game to beat.

When you are anticipating/understanding the discussion of hands and play in micro, start reading and posting in small stakes as well.

You might even want to start in the beginners forum.

sfer
11-23-2004, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Reread.

skoal2k4
11-23-2004, 05:11 PM
My apologies. I will post this in the other forum. Maybe someone there actually has an answer for me

jordanx
11-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Okay...

Move up in limit to 3/6, your raises will get more respect. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

SomethingClever
11-23-2004, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My apologies. I will post this in the other forum. Maybe someone there actually has an answer for me

[/ QUOTE ]

The "answer" to beating loose, weak games is to play g00t. End of story.

Welcome to the forums. Read some other people's hands, check out the Beginner's forum. Lurk for a week or so. You'll see.

JimRivett
11-23-2004, 05:25 PM
I can see that the "forum posting police" have welcomed you with open arms and friendly sarcasm /images/graemlins/wink.gif Don't let them bother you, heck even the author of the "guidelines" has said it's ok not to follow them.

I have to wonder if all posts that don't fit the "guidelines" are going to be treated this way?

Jim

MoreWineII
11-23-2004, 05:27 PM
There's no magical answer.

Well, scratch that - there is... it's reading, posting, trying to understand concepts, discussing, studying, making mistakes, learning from those mistakes, etc. etc.

Welcome to the forum.

skoal2k4
11-23-2004, 05:46 PM
I don't mind the sarcasm and giving me a bunch of crap... as long as i at least get sound advice. I made a mistake and posted on the wrong forum. Sorry. I asked for help with a particular situation and nobody had an answer for me other than you gotta play good or read a book. I'm sure every question has an answer already in the site, and I am looking for all the answers... that doesn't mean that there might be more opinions not already posted.

Anyway, feel free to bash me some more... I have thick skin.

BigBaitsim (milo)
11-23-2004, 06:15 PM
The advice you got was sound. Beating those games is incredibly easy. You just have to play solid poker, never bluff, fold your weak hands and raise for value. Read Jones' book, which will teach you to play weak-tight and you will crush the micro level. Once you move up to 2/4 and are a solid player, read Miller's book and crush the small stakes level. DO NOT MOVE UP UNTIL YOU ARE CRUSHING THE GAME AT YOUR CURRENT LEVEL.

bernie
11-23-2004, 06:37 PM
You will not win as much as you think you should. If you're playing well, you tend to only win about 60-70% of your sessions even on the graviest tables.

Another way of looking at it, the best tend to make 2bb per 35 hands. That's really not much if you look at it in the shortterm. But say you win 30bbs in 2 hours in a live game (35 hands). That's 15bbs an hour. At some point you will be giving back at least 13bbs per hour. Whether it's through time at the tables breaking even or going on a 2 hour downswing who knows.

No one said poker was easy.

b

MAxx
11-23-2004, 06:59 PM
why do i always read these posts eventhough i know where they are going?

anyway, i will use this opportunity to ask what does pown or powned or pizown or any dervivation of this term mean exactly. i assume it to mean owning someone through domination, or something like that. where does this term come from?

SomethingClever
11-23-2004, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what does pown or powned or pizown or any dervivation of this term mean exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

POWN is just a variation on pwned, which is a variation on owned.

waPOWN.

jordanx
11-23-2004, 07:14 PM
It's an internet gamers' term.

The origin is actually from an old 3d shooter mod that gave a message pop-up stating "xxxx just pawned xxxx's head" when you killed someone.

People started saying pwned when they killed someone in online games and it kinda spread from there to mean 'owned', in general.

afreeman
11-23-2004, 08:47 PM
It is an internet gaming term, but its a derivative of 'owned'.

In those circles, when you perform a particularly tricky or flamboyant kill of another (usually lesser-skilled) player, you are said to have 'owned' him. D00dSp3ak took it from there.