PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury this weekend

Roy Hobbs
11-23-2004, 03:15 PM
What is the action like at the track over the long weekend? I'm going to be in St. Paul...is it worth a trip out on Friday?

RH

Edge34
11-23-2004, 03:23 PM
I'll probably make it out Friday or Saturday. Should be decent, just like most other weekends. Maybe slightly shorter waits with people going out of town and all.

-Edge

Roy Hobbs
11-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks...if you see me, say hello. I'm 28 with short brown hair and brown thick rimmed glasses, from Chicago. I'll probably be playing 15-30 or 30-60.

Matt

NLSoldier
11-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Hey Edge, Me and a bunch of HS friends (and Schneids, right buddy?!?!) are going to be going on friday. We should meet up if you end up goin friday.

Andy B
11-23-2004, 05:19 PM
I've had obligations that have prevented me from getting out there on Thanksgiving weekend the last few years, and this year is no exception. The first couple of years they were open, and this was well before the current boom, the place was jammed on Friday. Guys had had about all the family togetherness that they could stand and came out to gamble while their wives shopped. I would expect it to be packed.

Schneids
11-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Not to scare you, but I'd expect the worst.

Last Friday night due to a floor screw-up they only had one 30/60 and one 15/30 game going until 8 or 9... Usually on Friday nights they can fill four tables at these stakes and still have a waiting list. By 8 or 9 the list for 15/30 was close to 30 names long so they broke one of the 3/6 games and made it 15/30, which helped a little bit.

Hopefully this Friday won't be a repeat of last Friday, since I personally expect it to be jam-packed there all day long.

If they have their [censored] together and have three 15's going you'll be able to get on one of those pretty quickly, but expect a long wait for 30/60 unless you arrive early.

I personally still do not know if I am going at all on Friday or Saturday. If I do I'll probably be in the 30/60 unless the game sucks (which it sometimes does though that usually doesn't stop me...). I am also considering not going out there until about 2am Saturday morning since by then I can maybe get on the 30/60 immediately or with a not long wait (since the earliest I can make it out there on Friday is probably 5-7pm and by then the wait will be ginormous).

I go by Schneids on the board. Since you'll probably be there before me (if I make it) you should hear when I get called.

My seating at the table is usually followed up by regulars such as Andy B racking up and moving to a different game where they might stand a chance...

Andy B
11-23-2004, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My seating at the table is usually followed up by regulars such as Andy B racking up and moving to a different game where they might stand a chance...

[/ QUOTE ]
Har har.

Roy Hobbs
11-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll look for you to say hello. I usually go by Matt R on the boards. I remember some faces from the last time that I was there, and I suspected that some of the better players were regular 2+2ers...looking forward to trying to put some names with faces.

RH

Holm Fries
11-24-2004, 11:13 PM
It'll be an absolute zoo. I would recommend calling and having a buddy put your name on the board. Otherwise prepare for a long wait.

HF

MaGi
11-25-2004, 02:23 PM
Last night (Wed.) the wait was 1 hour plus by about 7 for the 15/30 game...Friday will be much much worse, get there early.

NLSoldier
11-26-2004, 01:36 PM
I am leaving for Canterbury in about 15 min and plan to be there till late tonight. I'm like 6'3", college age, and I'm wearing jeans and a blue shirt with yellow writing that says "Absolut Water Ski" Feel free to come talk to me if you see me. I'll be playing anything from 4-8 to 15-30.

Edge34
11-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Didn't make it out Friday night, doesn't look good for this weekend at all really. The brother brought the fiancee home for Thanksgiving and its been family all the time...

Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but I'm starting to get tired of all this "togetherness"...my parents...my brother and his fiancee...and me. I need a drink... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My first semester of college finishes in like 3 weeks...look for me at the 'bury not long after christmas.

-Edge

Andy B
11-27-2004, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but I'm starting to get tired of all this "togetherness"...my parents...my brother and his fiancee...and me. I need a drink...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is precisely why that room is so damned full Thanksgiving weekend.

NLSoldier
11-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Andy, were you at canterbury until late into friday night? Wearing like an orange striped shirt and red hat or maybe red shirt with orange hat....

I saw a guy that looked a lot like the guy in your avatar but he was in a 6/12 or 8/16 game so i wasnt sure if it was you. If that was you...I was one of the 2 really tall young guys in the 15 game.

Andy B
11-28-2004, 03:28 AM
Not me. I haven't been there at all since Sunday, and the last time I played was a week ago Friday.

Roy Hobbs
11-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Schneids - played in the 30 on Friday night and the 15 on Saturday night. Asked around for you, but noone that I talked to seemed to know you. Spent a long time talking to a guy named Cooper, who seemed like a solid player and a nice guy. Games were great. Thanks again for the heads up.

RH

Schneids
11-28-2004, 08:02 PM
I keep a low profile. I wasn't there at all Friday night or Saturday night. I can think of maybe a dozen or so players there who would probably know me by name.

Plus, I don't make it out there more than a couple times per month typically and have only been playing in the 30 since around July.

Glad to hear you had a good time. Coop is a good guy and definitely very knowledgeable about sports.

Andy B
11-29-2004, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Coop is a good guy and definitely very knowledgeable about sports.

[/ QUOTE ]
He'd better be.