PDA

View Full Version : Playing passively with AK

Guy McSucker
11-23-2004, 01:27 PM
How's this line?

Folded to me on button with AKo. I raise, BB calls. BB plays a bit strangely, not averse to bluffing and playing total trash preflop, but more often than not plays real hands.

Flop: A J 3. BB bets. I call.

Turn: 9. He bets, I call.

River: 4. He bets, I raise.

Is that okay?

Guy.

Quindle
11-23-2004, 01:42 PM
It's a nice move, and one that I could profitably use more often. Any paired suit and I'd want to get the raise in on the turn though.

Anyone fold turn / river if the turn is reraised here, bearing in mind player profile?

Yobz
11-23-2004, 01:43 PM
What about suits, flush draws, anything?

Guy McSucker
11-23-2004, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What about suits, flush draws, anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

As to the actual hand, I don't recall; there may have been a two flush on the turn. But in any case, it's heads up. I hope I don't need to get overly concerned about draws heads up.

He folded to the river raise, and I decided I liked the line: gives him every opportunity to bluff and no opportunity to bail. If he has something worth having, he'll call any raise I might put in, and get to the river, and perhaps win. Same with my line. If he has nothing, a raise anywhere in the hand will get rid of him, so my line is better there; and nothing is more likely than a hand beating TPTK, isn't it?

Still not sure though.

Guy.

lostinthought
11-24-2004, 12:54 AM
what kinds of hands do you raise with heads up?

better hands(e.g. sets), and draws?

balkii
11-24-2004, 01:05 AM
with the AK, this is a situational line, certainly not a default play. this one is all about feel, and how the last 1/2 hr or so at this table has gone.

with the TPTK, theres so little chance that you're beat, so if he has something he feels like playing back with (Ax, Jx, KT/QT) you're costing yourself money. what that boils down to is that I'd much rather take this line (even routinely) with a hand like A6s.

does that make any sense?

Gazza
11-24-2004, 06:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
with the TPTK, theres so little chance that you're beat, so if he has something he feels like playing back with (Ax, Jx, KT/QT) you're costing yourself money. what that boils down to is that I'd much rather take this line (even routinely) with a hand like A6s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, except that I wouldn't raise on the river with A rag and I don't suppose you would either

Gazza

balkii
11-24-2004, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, except that I wouldn't raise on the river with A rag and I don't suppose you would either

Gazza

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I would raise the river. There are many worse hands that he could have that he would pay off.