PDA

View Full Version : Starting Hand Survey

zephyr
11-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi all,

I think I'd better start this post with a disclaimer. I know how to play sng's fairly well, and have played around 2000 of them. No, I'm not asking this because I'm trying to code a poker bot. I know that poker is situational, and player dependent. I know that there is no definitive answer here. I have my own thoughts on this topic which I will post later.

Ok, so now for the questions?

Here is a very common situation in an SNG. 5-6 players left, blinds at 100/200, stack size ~ 1000.

Assuming your action is either push or fold, and that the action is folded to you, what hands do you push:

$20 SNG

From UTG?
From 2nd position?
From 3rd position?
From the SB?

$30 SNG

From UTG?
From 2nd position?
From 3rd position?
From the SB?

zephyr
11-23-2004, 12:34 PM
Addition, in the situation no one has a severely small stack.

eastbay
11-23-2004, 12:38 PM
This question reduces to "what will I be called with." Answer that, and the rest is just some arithmetic, given some reasonable assumptions about the relationship between $EV and chipEV. This has been hashed over endlessly.

eastbay

zephyr
11-23-2004, 01:01 PM
This is precisely what I've done, and am curious to see how close my assumptions are to others instincts. I think the assumptions get quite a bit more difficult when there are limpers or more than one caller.

eastbay
11-23-2004, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is precisely what I've done, and am curious to see how close my assumptions are to others instincts. I think the assumptions get quite a bit more difficult when there are limpers or more than one caller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely gets a little messier with limpers, as you both have to put them on a hand as well as determine a prob. that they call your re-raise. In "real life" this depends on a lot of things, including stack sizes, table image, etc.

I think if you want to hash over the problem with a limper behind, you might be more interest as the topic would be more novel.

eastbay

SmileyEH
11-23-2004, 03:53 PM
I would treat $20's and $30's the same.

UTG: Any Ace, high suited kings, KQo KJo, QJs QTs, any pair, JTs

2nd Pos: probably the same

3rd: Add some lower suited connectors

SB: any two although depending on how aggressive I've been I would throw away the bottom 25%.

This is really a lot more dependant on game conditions, but I would feel pretty comfortable with this range of hands.

-SmileyEH