PDA

View Full Version : Out of position against a LAG

Transference
11-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Havent posted in a while but after a loosing session I thought it might be time for a check up. This is only about a dozen hands into the session. Button has already been flagged as loose aggressive aggressive, he is capable of betting and raising with most any part of the board and shows no respect for preflop raises. I do not have a read on CO but the table is generally loose passive with people taking turns hammering at button.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

I don't like the c/r given that LAG is last to act, Id hate to see it checked around I don't like the option of forcing the field to call 2 cold. If I was sure of a bet from LAG I might let him bet this for me. Leading out seems best, I hope for a raise from button.

Turn: (5 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Over aggro? I credit CO with an A, button could play this way with an A and maybe worse. I'm hoping that by forcing CO to call 2 cold I can minimize the risk of CO catching a possible 2 pair and I still think my hand is likely good. Broadway doesnt concern me much at this point (should it?), if its out there I have a few outs to improve. Obviously my biggest concern is a turned 2 pair. In retrospect I think calling down might have been better, but am not sure that pushing this was a huge error either way.

River: (17 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

I didnt like the turn call from CO. LAG Button could easily have been pushing his backdoor flush and I don't like all the straight possibilities, I want to see a showdown cheaply.

Final Pot: 20 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 20 BB, between CO, Button and Hero.</font>

My biggest question is the turn. Ive been stepping up the aggression lately and generally would prefer to err on the side of aggression. Consequently my variance is pretty high lately and im starting to wonder if I might be getting the short end of it. Ive been up for quite a while so my thinking and explanations might be a bit muddled at this point.

Results upon request, thanks in advance for input.

slickterp
11-23-2004, 11:59 AM
extremely possible someone limped w/ AJ/AQ/KT, and would call a bet when they hit their Q/J. so when the A comes, i think i curse my luck and call down, especially w/ a raise AND a reraise. my guess is one guy has a medium ace and one has AQ/AJ/KT, or worst case, one has AJ/AQ and the other has KT and you are totally dead.

nolanfan34
11-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Couple of thoughts.

On the flop, if you think the button will raise, then I like betting out. But I also don't think the C/R is a terrible play if you think it's close to 100% that the button will bet. This type of flop is one that I want the 98o and K8 hands to fold, and facing two bets cold might be a way to do it. It's a move worth considering, although in the end, I probably would have bet out too, and hoped the button raises so I can 3-bet. Best of both worlds then.

On the turn, ugh. I think the cap is OK, and if it's an error, it's not a huge one. Your hand clearly has showdown value, and while you could be up against AJ or AQ since people limp with those hands a bit, you could also be against AT which just hit top pair and a gutshot, or a flush draw, or an AK even. I'd be most worried about someone having 22, namely the CO.

On the river, I think the check/call showdown is probably OK. Interesting that the CO ended up checking, I'd start to think my hand might be good at that point...