PDA

View Full Version : JJ UTG $10 Rebuy, last hand of the first hour - what would you do?

Mourn
11-23-2004, 10:23 AM
$10 + rebuys/addons, starting count and rebuys are T1500, addon is T2000, I bought in for the original 1500 plus the rebuy at the start of the tournament and haven't rebought. With T5250, and the clock expiring in the rebuy period during the hand, I'm dealt J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif UTG. Blinds are 75/150. I call, folded around to the BB with T4000 who checks.

Flop: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB, a TAG, pushes all in. I think for about 30 seconds and call.

Rebuys and the addon are available during the break.

What would you do?

remen
11-23-2004, 11:57 AM
I say call. I put him on a pair with the gutshot straight draw. Either way, I can't imagine him overbetting the pot that much with anything that beats you. QQ-AA raise preflop, set or two pair would play it slower. He is probably just trying something crazy since it is the end of the rebuy period.

Chief911
11-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Or you are way behind.

I think I'd push this preflop during the rebuy period, when you want other people to get it all in with the worst of it. At this point I think a set is a likely scenario.

The overbet during rebuy means monster alot, whereas people will slowplay it a bit more during post-rebuy play.

I'd probably still call, because its rebuy. But I'd cry while I pushed "call"

Mourn
11-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Without listing the results quite yet, I agree that at the end of the rebuy period I should have been a lot more bold with a decent pair, even UTG. I can be less concerned about getting busted because I can rebuy and I'm more likely to have someone with AT or 88 looking at all those chips and thinking "Well, I can always rebuy, or I can make a big score here".

That was definitely a mistake. In this situation, I was thinking he was on AT or maybe 77 99 and thinking his hand might be the best and there's always the gut shot. If he loses, he can rebuy twice and take the addon for T5000 and not be much worse than just taking the addon (except for the extra $20 he spends). I did think there was a decent chance he had me beat and was just hoping for me to be thinking exactly what I was putting him on and more willing to risk everything with the rebuy still available.

nightlyraver
11-23-2004, 03:42 PM
I have a feeling that you lost this hand to a TAG. Any TAG in the BB would raise a single limper w/ JJ or better and would not push with just top pair, but ATs is not completely ruled out. However, without raising pre-flop (which is what you should have done - WTF were you thinking???!!!) we cannot rule out 2-pair, a set or a str8.

Moral of the story: Open-Raise w/ JJ!!! By doing that you can rule out T8,79,T6 and 86 which all have you badly beat. Against a TAG that calls your 4xBB raise, you are probably only up against AT, TT or 88 at the worst.

ZootMurph
11-23-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm all in preflop. It's a rebuy, and although you aren't in bad shape, you can quickly be in great shape if things work out.

If they don't, $30 gets you 5k chips to go into the 2nd hour with.

johnnycakes
11-23-2004, 04:50 PM
The key here, is that it's the last hand before the break.
I'll usually just shove this in and expect to get called in by 2 others on average.

Also, that call on the flop is the easiest call ever. You'll often see this all-in overbet with T/trash. People do crazy stuff on that last hand before the first break of a rebuy tourney.

Mourn
11-23-2004, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I've pretty much already covered that I should have raised pre-flop. I don't play a lot of rebuy tourneys, and I had done moderately well to that point and JJ tends to be my nemesis, especially in EP. Of course, had I done as much thinking before I limped as I did before I called, I would have raised considering it was the last hand of the rebuy period. But I do recognize the mistake there.

Mourn
11-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Well, I'm moderately happy that people agree with my call. I think in that situation I'd do it again, however, had I open-raised I don't think the BB would have still been in the hand with:

7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

To take down most of my entire stack and costing me another $20 to rebuy and addon. It's obvious where my mistake was, not in the call, but in the pre-flop weakness. Thanks for the responses.