PDA

View Full Version : Trips from BB, no kicker, passive opponent - how to play?

ajrenni
11-23-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me figure out what the right thing to do in this situation is. It seems to me to be one of those way ahead or way behind deals, and I have a hard time knowing when to be aggressive and when to bail.

Hero is in Big Blind with K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Three people limp, Button limps, Blinds complete

(6 SB) Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif (6 Players)

Checked all around

Here I was thinking slowplay. Anyone without a king or pocket 8s is drawing virtually dead, and I figure that by betting out, I will signal to everyone that I have the king. Does my total lack of a kicker change the equation? Would anyone check-raise here, particularly if the LAG Button took a stab?

(3 BB) Turn is 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif (6 Players)

SB, Hero, and two limpers check. Third limper bets, Button and SB fold, Hero?

I felt like there were some good reasons to fold here. Although this is only my second orbit, my impression of the bettor is that she is a loose calling station - this is her first bet/raise, after a few questionable call-downs. The pot is small, the 6 has hurt my chances of counterfeiting a better kicker, and I am out of position.

On the other hand, the bettor could have something like A8 or a pocket pair. There is, after all, only one more K out there. Do I really want to throw this hand away?

Also, would anyone have bet out the turn? In a way, I think that I could have gotten a better read on my opponents by doing so.

Thanks a lot for your feedback,

Andy

A_C_Slater
11-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Don't ever slowplay trips. If you bet they will usually call anyway. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER FOLDING ON THE TURN!!

You have trip Kings!! Bet out the turn. You have a monster!!

When she bets into you for the love of GOD raise. Yes, sometimes someone will be slowplaying AK, but that is not likely since there was no raise preflop. In all my time searching throughtout this forum I have never seen anyone even consider making a fold this terrible. I don't mean to berate you, but if you consider folding trip Kings without any real sign of aggression then you shouldn't be gambling because you're obviously playing on scared money.

(When you bet out with trips virtually no one will give you credit for it, for exactly the reason you stated. They think that players would not want to give away the fact that they have just made trip Kings.)

btspider
11-23-2004, 10:40 AM
betting the flop and betting the turn would be a start.

folding here would be atrocious having never tested your opponents.

ajrenni
11-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback. No offense taken (I am very new at this). For the record, I did raise the turn. I guess I was just questioning myself because I got beat by K9o. I was also kicking myself for not betting the flop and turn (or river, for that matter), and wasn't sure how to recover.

One more question. Would you have bet the river, heads up?
Thanks for indulging me.

A_C_Slater
11-23-2004, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the feedback. No offense taken (I am very new at this). For the record, I did raise the turn. I guess I was just questioning myself because I got beat by K9o. I was also kicking myself for not betting the flop and turn (or river, for that matter), and wasn't sure how to recover.

One more question. Would you have bet the river, heads up?
Thanks for indulging me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough information. What did your opponent do after you raised the turn? If she re raised me on the turn I would check call the river. If she only called the turn I would bet out on the river.

ajrenni
11-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Sorry - She called the turn. Thanks again.

A_C_Slater
11-23-2004, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry - She called the turn. Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were right about her being extremely passive, but at least she saved you money by not re raising and you now should have a note on her for future reference. There's no way you could know this though after watching her for only two orbits. The majority of the time after it is checked around the flop here people will be betting with an ace overcard or a small/middle pocket pair or an 8 or even QJ or any number of worthless garbage.

Jaran
11-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey ajrenni,
Bet the flop. Since everyone at the micros tend to slowplay trips, betting out here actually disguises your hand better than checking. Sure, sometimes everyone folds, but people love to call, let them.

-Jaran

PS-no foldie on the turnie