PDA

View Full Version : Did I make the wrong move here?

EricW
11-23-2004, 07:52 AM
Hey guys,

I just finished a sit n go in 4th place and I'm wondering about this move that I made and thinking that it was the wrong one. There are 4 players left in like round 6 or 7. Short stack is to my left, and chip leader is to my direct right. He has me by a couple hundred chips and I'm in 2nd (I have low 2000's in chips and he has mid 2000's). This guy has been stealing blinds off of me for the past little while now so everyone folds exept for him (he is BB) he checks and I look at TT. I move all in and he calls with AKs. I wanted to pick up those blinds there. I think that his all in call with AKs against the 2nd chip leader was wrong, but was my move wrong? What else would you guys have done instead?

Thanks.

tigerite
11-23-2004, 08:26 AM
I guess you mean he was in the SB? If he checked (completed)? Otherwise how could you go all in on him before the flop? You have to wonder why he's just completing here instead of stealing, probably means he has a hand. Maybe better to just take the flop then auto-push on it, a kind of stop-and-go if you like.

EricW
11-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Bump

zephyr
11-23-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm assuming this is party. If you're at level 6 or 7 then the blinds are 150/300 or 200/400. In either of these cases you have an amazingly easy push, unless the short stack is very very short. Villain was correct to call aswell imo, although I'd much favour a push in his position.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr

willperkins
11-23-2004, 11:09 PM
You said the level was 6 or 7, which means the blinds were probably 200/400. I got a little lost in your post because you said he was in BB and checked and you looked at TT. Wouldn't you have acted 1st if he was in the BB?

Anyway, if 4 are left, and I am the 1st one in the pot, I push with t2000. A raise of t1200 would be 60% of my stack so I push.

If someone else has already limped, I call and see a flop and then decide.

If someone raises into me, I fold and wait for a better spot.

EricW
11-23-2004, 11:14 PM
hey guys, sorry I meant that he was in the SB. I figured that my move was fine 'cause either way I would have lost that hand if he had a higher PP. If he just called from the SB with AA, KK, QQ, JJ to trap me and if I would have checked to see the flop and the flop came out rags, I would have probably pushed and lost anyways. Raising would probably be a bad option 'cause a raise would knock down almost half of my chip stack. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

MrMon
11-24-2004, 04:54 AM
I think we have two incorrect moves here, but he survived his. Given that this is a bubble hand and you are the two large stacks, I would advise trying to not play each other. But with strong hands, what can you do? Play with caution, that's what.

Regardless of whether he should have raised AK or not, and that's debatable, when he called you should have checked in the name of caution. But you went all-in, which is not an altogether indefensible position, but is hardly the cautious play. Unfortunately, you had an aggressive maniac as an opponent, who made the truly stupid move of calling, but getting away with it. As they say, that's poker.

If someone has gotten to be big stack by aggressive, unsound play, make note of the fact and use it to your advantage. (I could have used this advice myself in a just finished game. /images/graemlins/frown.gif) If you have a little luck, a point will come where you can take advantage of their aggression and bad judgment. That kind of just happened to you, but it would have been a much better risk post-bubble.