PDA

View Full Version : AA -- I think this is okay, but feel free to disagree

Nick C
11-23-2004, 06:43 AM
CO was short-stacked (he began the hand with 5.75 BB). I didn't really know if BB would tag along or not.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (10 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls $5 (All-In), Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Shillx
11-23-2004, 06:53 AM
If you are going to get tricky here preflop, then I would do 1 of 2 things given the nature of this flop.

A: Bet the flop, hope that BB calls and that CO raises. Just call the raise and then go for a stop 'n go on 4th.

B: Make your move on 4th where you can punish them with big bets. If you really wanted BB out of the hand, why not 3-bet preflop...

Shill

Nick C
11-23-2004, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A: Bet the flop, hope that BB calls and that CO raises. Just call the raise and then go for a stop 'n go on 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I let the clubs and straight potential worry me, but I think this is a good idea. I'm not so worried about CO with this flop, and there's no real reason to think BB has a strong draw.

Edit: And if he does have a strong draw, he won't fold anyway.

Webster
11-23-2004, 08:16 AM
Being passive with AA is so silly - are you trying to lose the hand?

What if playing raising would have folded the guy with a 4!!
What if the 3th club flopped on the turn.

Playing AA passive you are just inviting anybody to beat you.

THEN - the board pairs and you get aggressive? Personally I think you played this hand backwards.

k000k
11-23-2004, 08:27 AM
BB was getting 5:1, that's a call for a lot more hands than the 7:2 or even 9:3 if the CO caps. Who's laughing when he flips over A3o....

Nick C
11-23-2004, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who's laughing when he flips over A3o....

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's what he had. I did, after all, chicken out and try to get rid of him with my flop checkraise.

I am happy to let him call preflop with A3o, though. I'd rather have him call two bets with that, but he probably won't. And then CO might get more cautious postflop.

That was my thinking, anyway. And, actually, I thought the BB might just let me defend the blinds for him.

Nick C
11-23-2004, 10:34 PM
CO had JJ.

I think there's a good chance I would have won just as much from CO had I 3-bet preflop. Anyway, though, I wasn't really calling in an effort to keep BB in. I thought there was a good chance the pot would be heads-up after I called, and I was trying to disguise my strength in anticipation of that heads-up confrontation. But of course 3-betting preflop in this situation is perfectly reasonable, and it's also what I usually do.

But since I called and BB did stay in, I think I should've followed shillx's plan.

Anyway, part of the context for this hand occurred earlier at a different table when open-raised from MP with AA and it was folded to the SB, who 3-bet. I was prepared to just call the 3-bet, but then BB cold-called two, so I capped. BB folded on the turn, and SB just check-called the whole way. But that's probably about the best I could hope for anyway as SB had QQ and there was a king on the flop. (So I probably won more by capping in that hand but nevertheless used that hand as an excuse to just call in the hand I posted. In retrospect, I'm not sure how much sense that makes.)

Shillx
11-23-2004, 10:38 PM
I almost always call in the SB with AA when there is an LP open raise. The goal is to trap BB for big bets with a random weak hand. If you smooth call in the SB, and the BB folds then the line is almost always check/call the flop and check/raise the turn.

Shill