PDA

View Full Version : Flopped the nut straight but didn't get the nut value

billyjex
11-23-2004, 06:03 AM
UTG+1 is very LAGish (86 hands, 49 VPIP, 6 PFR, 2 A-T). SB is a TAG, no reads on the others.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Glad I flopped the straight, but I wanted to go for overcalls here and risk giving someone a cheap diamond. The 3-bet from MP2 took care of that though. I didn't want to cap it here and show off the strength of my hand.

Turn: (7 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

In retrospect this is where I screwed things up. I thought MP2 might raise again and I could three-bet him, but I really just let a diamond draw get a cheap card. Correct?

River: (10 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

Ajax410
11-23-2004, 07:53 AM
I might just be saying this because I saw MP2 fold the river, but his hand looks suspiciously like a flush draw...except he didn't cap the flop. I would raise the turn, as you can force the flush draw to pay more while he's still drawing...as opposed to the river, when he already knows if his hand is made...just my thoughts.

Alex

Shillx
11-23-2004, 07:56 AM
I might go for a call/cap on the flop if I'm feeling in the mood. Turn raise is 100% required here.

Shill

HajiShirazu
11-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Since your opponents almost certainly will have hands to pay off/draw with on a 89J flop with two diamonds, such as gutshots, single tens, flush draws, top pair, why not just play your hand fast and collect maximumn value?