PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst play you've seen on a $215 or $109 Table?

Greg Zabawa
11-23-2004, 04:59 AM
Some of the players, even at these super high buy-in SNGs just boggle the mind. They must be trust fund babies or something b/c they sure aren't successful players. Here's an example:

Blinds are 10/15, everyone folds to a player in MP with J10o, he moves all in (1200 chips) and gets called by AA. Needless to say, he loses. I mean, I honestly can't fathom how anyone would make that play, much less someone who paid $215 to enter a SNG. Unfortunately, I forgot this fellow's name, but I should dig it up from my hand histories and put him on my buddy list.

Anyone else have similar stories of insanely idiotic plays at big buy-in SNGs?

Daliman
11-23-2004, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of the players, even at these super high buy-in SNGs just boggle the mind. They must be trust fund babies or something b/c they sure aren't successful players. Here's an example:

Blinds are 10/15, everyone folds to a player in MP with J10o, he moves all in (1200 chips) and gets called by AA. Needless to say, he loses. I mean, I honestly can't fathom how anyone would make that play, much less someone who paid $215 to enter a SNG. Unfortunately, I forgot this fellow's name, but I should dig it up from my hand histories and put him on my buddy list.

Anyone else have similar stories of insanely idiotic plays at big buy-in SNGs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a hand where first hand in, i had AQo in BB, 4 people total call MP raiser for 45 or so, flop comes AQ9 rainbow, Sb bets out 125, i call, other 2 fold, turn Q, SB bets out 300, i reluctantly call, river is K, no flush out, he pushes allin, I again, reluctantly call.

He has 26o. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ZeeJustin
11-23-2004, 05:26 AM
If you almost folded, that's definately not the worst play you've ever seen.

Daliman
11-23-2004, 01:21 PM
SARCASM DETECTORS! ONLY $3995.95! (http://sarcasmdetectors.com)

Greg Zabawa
11-23-2004, 05:50 PM
LOL, that is pretty crazy, but you seen a lot of insane bluffs that make little sense, even on $215 tables. Any theories as to how some of these terrible players have the scratch to play? Do they just try a few tourneys and then they're done or are there some who keep coming back? If so, I need to find them, lol.

Cleveland Guy
11-23-2004, 05:58 PM
They take their small bankroll, enter a big MTT, and get run over by the cards. SO after the luck into their win, they think they are too good for the 30s, 50s, and 100s, so they donate all their winnings back to the poker pros by playing above their head in the 200s before they are ready.

adanthar
11-23-2004, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SARCASM DETECTORS! ONLY $3995.95! (http://sarcasmdetectors.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

I clicked on that link and couldn't find anything /images/graemlins/confused.gif

stillnotking
11-23-2004, 07:09 PM
I think the worst play I've seen was $10/$20 blinds, 6 limpers (including UTG) see the flop of 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG moves all-in for ~900 chips and is instantly called by UTG+1 (who has about 850), others fold. UTG has A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif and UTG+1 has 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Of course, UTG had to complain about his "bad beat" before leaving the table on the next hand.

imcastleman
11-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Moving all in is never a bad play, is it?? Here is what I saw once in a 215 sng: In level one, a guy moves all in for 1000 in the CO with AK and the BB calls with 3 5 offsuit. And, of course, my brother called all in in level one once with J8o, so there are many players who make terrible plays, but calling all in is worse than moving all in.

Just my two cents.

Gigabet
11-23-2004, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And, of course, my brother called all in in level one once with J8o,

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish we could play at the same tables, I would love busting his tight ass with J8 sometime.

Greg Zabawa
11-23-2004, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the worst play I've seen was $10/$20 blinds, 6 limpers (including UTG) see the flop of 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG moves all-in for ~900 chips and is instantly called by UTG+1 (who has about 850), others fold. UTG has A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif and UTG+1 has 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Of course, UTG had to complain about his "bad beat" before leaving the table on the next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is hilarious, if I limp in with AA early, and noone raises, I'll generally chalk it up to a missed opportunity and lay it down if the blinds show strength. They're playing for free so they can easily have 2 pair. Now if the flop came J-6-4 rainbow, I might try to isolate on someone outside the blinds hoping they have QJ, KJ, etc.

stillnotking
11-23-2004, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Moving all in is never a bad play, is it??

[/ QUOTE ]

Short answer: YES.

Long answer: This play is what some people refer to as the Big Oops. The player with AA missed his chance to raise before the flop (he limped hoping someone would raise behind so he could come over the top). The flop comes paired with rags. Now, by betting 850 chips into a pot of 60 chips, he's ensuring he cannot be called by anything he can beat. The worst hand that would call here would be trips. So this all-in bet has pretty close to zero expectation.

imcastleman
11-24-2004, 12:46 AM
Thank you for clearing that up.

ilya
11-24-2004, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Moving all in is never a bad play, is it??

[/ QUOTE ]

Short answer: YES.

Long answer: This play is what some people refer to as the Big Oops. The player with AA missed his chance to raise before the flop (he limped hoping someone would raise behind so he could come over the top). The flop comes paired with rags. Now, by betting 850 chips into a pot of 60 chips, he's ensuring he cannot be called by anything he can beat. The worst hand that would call here would be trips. So this all-in bet has pretty close to zero expectation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying this is an ok play or anything; matter of fact I think it's a horrible, horrible play....but in the $20s at least he would often get called by some hands he beats. Like KK. Or A4.

Just kidding. But not really.